Chapter 12

February 2012 - One year later.....

"So you're really doing this?"

"I am. It's time to start fresh."

"I hate goodbyes," Sam pulls me in, holding me tightly.

"This isn't goodbye, Sam. I'll be back to visit."

"I know, I know. You can't let this opportunity surpass you, blah, blah, blah." She was mocking me and it was okay. It was just one of Sam's defense mechanisms.

I glance over at Travis; my ex-boyfriend turned to then again boyfriend then finally fiancé. "I'm going to miss you too much, Chelsea." "Yeah, you too punk." I smile as I try to hide behind my teary eyes. "As soon as I get back, we'll be walking down the aisle, okay?" He wipes the tears sliding down my cheek. I give him a tight hug and one last kiss.

Flight 314 to Heathrow is boarding at Gate C.

I look at Sam and Travis, "Well, that's me." I pick up my carry-on and give my final hugs; tears are now streaming down my cheek. Sam's face is flushed as she's wiping away a loose tear, making her eyeliner smear. "I'll call you when I land, yeah?" I look at her and Travis, both nod. I stand there for a while, looking at Travis - who refuses to look me straight in the eye - before turning my back and heading to the gate.

"I love you Travis." 

*****

Arriving in London was surreal, like a dream almost. After a year and a half, I'm finally here. Not to mention, officially employed too. As I leave baggage claim, I see a man dressed in black holding a sign with my name in it. Just like the movies.

"I'm Chelsea!" I say ecstatically. The driver smiles and opens the trunk of the black Range Rover with my bags in tow. He opens the back door for me and I slide myself to the passenger side. I've never been in a fancy car before. I've always associated these types of vehicles to people with money & I certainly had none.

"So, where are we going exactly?"

"The Corinthia, madam."

Madam? "You can call me Chelsea; I'm not into formality much. What's your name?"

I look into the window mirror to see the driver looking at me with another smile. "My name is Michael, madam. I mean, Chelsea."

I pull out my phone and look up the Corinthia Hotel. By the photos, this is way too swanky. I can't even afford a fourth of a standard room. "Umm, Michael?"

He senses my hesitation, "Yes, Miss Chelsea?" I look at the back of his head embarrassed. "I can't afford this hotel." He begins to laugh a bit, "I can tell but Sir Branagh will be paying your living expenses until you find a more suitable residence."

I couldn't help but laugh whenever Michael spoke. "What's so funny Miss Chelsea?" I instantly stop - did I offend him? "Your accent is different than any Englishman I've ever heard."

"It's Cockney, Miss. I grew up in the East End. It's your stereotypical, make-fun of Londoners accent. An example, Michael Caine is cockney as is Charlie Chaplin...when he spoke.....out loud."

"Ahhh Michael Caine. So his accent in Austin Powers in Goldmember was his real voice? Or when he played Alfred in Batman?"

"Of course! Both are great yet completely opposite, films."

The fact that Michael and I both appreciated Austin Powers made me more comfortable. I had a feeling that our relationship would be a lot like Joe & Mia's in The Princess Diaries.

"This is a hotel?" I ask astonished by the magnificent view in front of me. Michael nods as he grabs my bags from the trunk, setting them on one of those luggage carts. The hotel is settled in the heart of London with a great view of the London Eye.