Chapter Ten

Steve left us. Or left Fiona. I knew he was in trouble, but I know he will get out of it. He always does. he and I were never friends so I don't see the reason to help him. If anything Im happy he's gone, now all the good jobs Enzo has, go to me. He's a skumbag and a rich Daddy's boy who is trying to be a ghetto rebel. 

Today is Mickey's wedding. I don't want to go, I don't want to support the skank that turned my best friend into a stereotypical baby daddy from the south side of Chicago. She used him and she knows it, so does he. When this baby comes I hope it goes to an adoption family. But Svetlana wants to keep it. Stupid Whore. 

Ian and I walk into the back of the hooker hall early on their wedding day. "This is bullshit," I tell Mickey. Ian agrees. I can see Mickey's eyes get sad when he sees Ian. "I think I should go sit down and let you two talk." Mickey comes out looking like he just got fucked out in the hall, maybe because he did. His hair is fluffed and his face is pink. I laugh to myself. He and Ian fucked in the kitchen on his wedding day, during his wedding, making him late.  I glance and him and look at Ian. Mickey catches where I'm looking and lets out a shit-eating grin. 

The weddings nice, for a hooker and a street thug. I can tell Mickey is uncomfortable. His eyes keep shifting to Ian. Ian rolls his eyes at Terry when he starts bragging about his son's marriage. To a woman, he doesn't love. I walk over to Svetlana. "I hope you and your whore baby burn it hell." She glares at me.  "Get out."

"huh, gladly." I turn away and find Mickey, "the whore kicked me out." I tell him. I give him a hug. "See you tomorrow?" I ask more than I say. "Yeah, I'll be home." I walk out, flipping Svetlana off as I walk away.

I don't see Mickey for weeks, not till I get the call saying Svetlana is giving birth. Mickey refuses to be there for the birth of visit after he is born. "Mickey, you're going to regret not being there for his birth." He rolls his eyes. "You'd be a great father if you tried to be," I tell him. "I don't want to be. I want to be with Ian without having a wife and baby on my ass twenty-four, seven." 

"You want to be with Ian? as in.."

"Shut up."

"Have you talked to him about having a boyfriend title in your relationship?" 

"No, I mean kinda?" This man is impossible. "He bet he will talk to you and reason a relationship." He smiles at the ground. "Maybe." 

I love seeing this side of Mickey, The side that loves a redheaded boy, the side that sees a kid get beat up by a bully and stops them, the side that breaks down and cries because his father is a dickbag, and the side that smiles at the ground when he's happy. THAT side of Mickey is the side that makes me stay friends with him and the side that convinces me he's a good person. 

I got a job. And it was a real job, Fiona said maybe it would help make my life more stable, I think it was to get me out of the house. Monday through Friday from nine am to five pm I worked helping fix cars at Enzo's. NOT stealing them, I made that very clear to him. He is a good boss. If I'm late or need to leave early he lets me. We "forgot" to tell Fiona I know him because I stole a few cars for him. (A few being over fifty, Most for free, and some for bank.) 

I didn't have time for hanging out at home or going to Mickeys and everyone knew that. I liked work, It kept me busy. I left my Meds at Enzo's over the week and he reminded me to take them if he thought I forgot. Mickey visited once a week to see if he could help or buy me a beer. Life was good, and I stayed out of trouble.

But as I sit on the pavement, handcuffs on and hands restrained behind me, my nose bleeding and arm broke I realized that Is a little bit of a lie, but Living where I live is impossible not to stay out of it forever. 

I sat quietly during the after party of Yevfeny's christening. Svetlana came over once to thank me for talking Mickey into going and told me she "Was making do with her situation with the gay boy." She comes over once again minutes later and hands me a beer. "I don't know why you hate me."

"You raped my gay friend in an attempt to make him straight." She takes a sip of her drink. "When Terry told me I had to, I didn't question. Im not getting killed by him." She still raped Mickey! But I do get her fear of not doing it. Terry's violent and unpredictable.  "Look, Im sorry and I'm sure your an okay gal, But you do not make him happy."She nods and walks away.

I see Ian out of the corner of my wye go to leave and Im about to walk over when I hear Mickey. 

"Hey, excuse me. like everybody's attention please." Mickey and I make eye contact for a solid minute, Is he gonna? Ne wouldn't, Not with Terry here. I step closer to him just in case. 

"I just wanted everybody here to know..." He takes a breath "Im fucking gay." He looks at Ian, "A big ole 'mo, I just thought everyone should know that." He seems confident with his announcement and I see Ian creep back into the bar. "You happy now?"