Chapter one

Latakia, Syria. That was where me and my darling cousin, Alexandria had escaped too. However, the reasons we both ran were very different. She was on the run from her husband and his psychotic father whilst I was on the run from the law. Turns out being a murder suspect in the case for the first lady's death made me a very wanted criminal.

"Elisa regina Thomas if you do not get your ass out of bed then I will drag you out yourself. You have an hour until your shift" Alexa calls out from our joint bathroom. I just roll my eyes and burrow further into my blanket cocoon. The AC was blasting and I was hiding under the thin duvet.

I hear the bathroom door slam open and see Alexa's tight red dress briefly as she rips the blanket off of me. The Dagher brother's had offered to let us lie low here on the condition that we worked in the hotel. I absolutely hated it but Alexa acted as if the Dagher brothers were her saviours for helping which only made my hatred worst. Especially for the youngest Dagher.

Zeke Dagher was a selfish fucker and I had instantly despised him even when we were children. He truly got under my skin like no one else could because he understood me better than anyone else and he was well aware of it. It made me vulnerable and weak around him and I couldn't stand it.

"No, give it me back. I feel sick" I groan, reaching for her.

"This is the third time this week. What's going on, babe?" Alexa sighs, reluctantly giving me back the blanket and lying at the foot of her bed. My hands subconsciously settle on my barely visible bump. I'm nearly 5 months along and still can't believe that I am growing a tiny human inside of me. My tiny human.

Pregnant. I still couldn't believe it and I hadn't had the guts to tell anyone. Deep down I still am hoping that the pregnancy tests were wrong but I had done 5 and all of them back positive. I didn't even know how to ask for help. To admit that I had made a mistake. I guess that makes me a coward.

"Earth to Elisa" Alexa giggles, waving her hand in front of my face. I grab it and push it away with a forced laugh.

"I don't know what's going on. I think its the heat here but I feel like I am going to throw up again. Please can you cover my shift" I near beg, holding her hands close to my chest.

"No. I'm going out with James for dri-" she starts but I cut her off.

"Please I covered your shifts at the start. You kind of owe me".

A look of hurt flashes across her face and I instantly feel bad. That was a bitchy move but I needed her to do this for me even if I could have done it in a gentler manner. There was no need to bring up the first few weeks when she had drank herself to near death.

"Okay. I will but only because I love you. Try and get some sleep" she sighs, kissing the top of my head affectionally and I have to force myself not to flinch as her lips touch my skin. I mutter a thank you before letting sleep find me again.

---

I move around the hotel restaurant fluidly with drinks balanced in my hands. It had been a few days since Alexa had taken over my shift and then returned with Jaxon in tow. Nazari Dagher had given us the week off but I needed to get out of the Villa. It isn't like I dislike Jaxon but I feel uneasy around him especially when he is with Alexa. The way he looks at her like he will die for her if he has too makes me nervous. I have never been able to reach that level of trust outside of my family since Enzo which had turned out horribly.

"Elisa, what a pleasant surprise to run into you here" The annoying voice of Zeke says behind me. I roll my eyes and continue towards the table at the far end where my customers were seated.

I place all the drinks down without a word and hear Zeke charm them before he grabs my wrist. In a matter of seconds, I have a dagger out and pressed against his abs.

"That is no way to treat your boss, sunshine, if you wanted to use knives you could have just asked me. I have no problem using them to carve my initals into your skin if that's what you're in to. Pain and pleasure truly do work wonders together" he smirks, brushing his thumb across my wrist and I push him away.

"You're disgusting" I admonish.

When I don't carry on, he starts again, "Now not that I don't love arguing with you, darling, but Naz sent me to warn you. A group of people have been spotted trying to sneak in. Heavily armed. We suspect they are here for your beloved cousin. Get her out of her then meet me by the gates. Stick to the plan we created when you first moved here and everything will be fine".

"Merda" I curse, placing the empty tray on the table and taking off in the direction of our Villa without a second thought.

What if I am too late? The thought only makes me sprint faster, ignoring the funny looks thrown my way. I am nearly there when I spot Jax, Aerin and James all walking leisurely. Switching directions, I skid to a stop in front of them.

"Attack. Alexandria" I pant and that is all it takes for them to all jump into action.

"Fuck. I'll try hold them off, where are they?" James curses at the same time Aerin demands, "get her to the beach. I'll be waiting down there with my helicopter ready to go as discussed. It will faster and more efficient to escape".

"At the gates. Zeke is waiting there. I'll join you after I get Jax and Alexa out" I declare, James nods and runs off in the other direction.

"I'm going to go and get her ready. Don't be long" Jax states after looking between me and Aerin- who was gesturing that she needs to talk to me in a non-discreet manner.

"You can't fight" Aerin says as soon as Jax is out of hearing range.

"What the fuck? Why? You do know who I am, right?"

"Of course I know who you are. I'm not an idiot. I have an IQ of 140. However, I saw the pregnancy tests. I'm sorry I wasn't trying to snoop but if you're pregnant what if something goes wrong and you lose it" she hisses and I freeze. I hadn't spoken the words out loud yet and it was surreal to hear someone say it. However, I curse myself when I realise I hadn't even thought of my child when making these plans. Hadn't even considered the risks. I was already a shit mother and the child wasn't even born yet.

"I can't just let my cousin get hurt. I promised my aunt that I would protect her when she wanted to hide here instead of in New York" I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"I didn't expect you to but you would be heart broken if you lost your angel. So you are going to help Jax get Alexa out then go to the roof. There are snipers hidden in a lock box in the vent. Use one if you want. Or find Naz and he will give you something. Therefore you can help but you also aren't at such a high risk".

I nod and thank her before catching up with Jax just before he gets to the villa. We both slam the front door open and whilst Jax rushes to the bedroom I focus on barricading the door. Opting to use one of the windows to get out later.

Fuck. I hope this works. I don't know what I would do if anything happens to Alexa because my plan wasn't enough.