Chapter six

They say that when something traumatic happens time comes to a stand still but that never happened to me. Instead everything seemed to speed up. I can't keep up with anything no matter how hard I try. It feels a little bit like that now.

He had been here. Enzo had been in Syria and I was completely clueless.

Mom had found out this morning from her lawyer and had immediately called me to warn me. Ever since my brain had been racing with questions and doubts. Did he still want to kill me? Should I tell the Dagher brothers that he is dangerous so they don't let him in just in case? When had he even gotten out of prison? With my families influence, he should have been put away for life . That is what the judge had told me and mom when we stood against him in court. I thought that I was safe from his wrath.

He didn't love me.

Maybe he had at one point but the first time he had struck me I should have known. I was naive and stupid for letting him abuse my love for him. Even through a certain Syrian had warned me.

God, if only Zeke really knew what happened. He wouldn't be so quick to remind me of it whenever he was presented the opportunity. He always did it tiny, subtle ways but I had understood when he said he would clear his schedule for me.

I don't know what I was thinking when I texted Zeke that day in New York. I just panicked and his number was the first one that came up.

He didn't ask any questions when I shared my location. He just dropped everything and came over to the shitty hotel Enzo had booked. He had claimed that he couldn't afford a nicer hotel despite both of us being from wealthy families.

I still remember the look on Zeke's face when he broke down the fucking door and found me curled on the floor. A pool of blood surrounded me and glass embedded in my back. Two ribs were broken and so were three of my fingers. To sum it up I was pretty roughed up.

He had immediately asked what had happened and I couldn't even remember what I had supposedly done to deserve this. I had claimed that Enzo had left and a gang had tried to rob us as they had seen my expensive jewellery. Zeke hadn't seemed fooled and I wasn't surprised. The lie was bullshit. I knew that he knew I could take down a group of people on my own with ease. I had chosen not to fight. He hadn't pushed me onto it through, just raised his eyebrows and sighed before taking the glass out.

He had stayed with me the rest of the night. He had said it was to make sure my wounds didn't get infected but considering the regular murderous looks out of the window I knew that he was looking for someone.

That night had made me hate Zeke even more which logically didn't make any sense seeing as he cared for me.

The Italian number comes across my screen for a third time in the last hour. I hadn't touched my phone at all; Not wanting to alert anyone that it was a active number.

Had Enzo really found my new phone number that fast? Or was I just being overly paranoid?

My phone stops buzzing and I sigh at the temporary relief. It doesn't last long, less than a minute passes and the phone lights up again.

I can't do this.

I grab the phone, careful not to answer or decline, and stash it in one of the draws beside my bed. I pile clothing over it in a weak attempt to muffle the noise.

When I'm satisfied that no one will able to hear it and start snooping, I grab my book (which Zeke had left on my bedside table) and hurry out into the living room.

Zeke is no where to be seen but noises of pleasure are emanating from his bed room. I scrunch up my eyebrows as a women screams 'daddy' loudly. I could have gone without hearing that today.

Shuddering, I steal a custard donut off the side and hurry out the door with my book tucked under my arm.

"Oh. Who are you?" A female voice squeaks when I turn around after locking the door behind me.

The women was adorable. She had freckles covering the bridge of her nose and her cheeks and her emerald eyes had fear and curiosity in them as she looks me up and down. Her cheeks match her flaming red hair when she hears the women moan again.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that question as you are stood outside of my apartment?" I ask, raising my eyebrows pointedly.

"Your apartment? I was told that Zeke lives here" she stammers, getting even more flustered as she glances around the hallway.

"I'm temporarily sharing with him" I explain, feeling bad for the young women, "you can go in if you want but he is... preoccupied as you can hear".

"He's a disgusting pig" she curses, shaking her head, "I'm Emry Schulze, by the way, I work in the Interpol over here".

"Wait- you're the German mobs daughter?" I realise and she looks like she about to deny it so I quickly explain, "Your father is an ally of my uncle. He went to their wedding which is how I know him. You look uncanny".

"Your uncle?" She questions, her face scrunching up and head tilting as she tries to figure out who I am.

"Elisia Thomas. My uncle is the Don of the American-Italian mafia. Whilst my parents are the capos of the Italian branch".

"Oh shit. You're like mafia royalty" she gasps and I can't help the laugh that escapes me. It is rare that people bring that up.

The mafia hierarchy had fallen before Uncle Lad was born. However when Nana Raine was growing up it was a big thing apparently and her family was at the top. Nonno Liam's family was beneath hers before they got married and I still remember the merciless teasing that he received from the family.

"Mind me asking what you wanted Zeke for?" I try to change the topic and she immediately gets defensive.

"I don't want him for anything. He's my friend and he said we would do a movie night tonight. We do them whenever he's in the country. I didn't realise that you would be here through".

I blink at her change in moods. What the fuck? Maybe she was planning on fucking him or something because she didn't seemed pleased that I would there tonight.

"Oh have fun. I won't be back until late so... enjoy" I shrug awkwardly and she actually sighs in relief at my words. I shake my head slowly as I walk off, trying to wrap my head around my new living situation.

Tomorrow I was going to have a conversation about him sleeping with people and set some ground rules for when I am sharing an apartment with him.

Number one would definitely be that they had to be quiet because I'm pretty sure I'm scarred for life now. I never want to hear one of his women call him daddy ever again.