Chapter 9

•••

Evie stared at him a moment. He was really there, standing a few meters before her. He was there, alive, seeming good health. He was there, dressed in a white shirt and black jeans. He was there, awkwardly standing and looking at her.

"Hi," Jacob awkwardly said, taking a step toward her.

Unconsciously, Evie took a step back. Jacob frowned. Evie didn't know what she was feeling. It was confusing. Happiness, joy, sadness, anger, merry, sorrow, love, pain, relief, bitterness, and love again. What should she do? She dreamt of this moment for two months. She wanted him back. But now that be was there, in front of her. All she saw was the pain she felt for two months. The great void she felt in her heart.

Evie looked at him, fists clenched, jaw contracted, eyes tearing up.

She couldn't do it.

"I'm sorry," she muttered before turning away and walking fast to were the crowd was.

"Evie wait-"

"Jacob," she heard Edward stopping him.

"You told me it was the right time to come back," Jacob said, sounding confused.

"And it is," Edward said. "But give her a little more time,"

Evie was grateful to Edward. She knew he must have seen was she was thinking, reminiscing with her all the pain she felt. He surely knew how pain was suffocating her at the moment. She needed time to reflect.

"V?" She heard Alice called. She looked up to see the Cullen girl and her mate. "Hey, what's wrong?" The pixie softly asked and she cupped Evie's face and gently whipped her tears away, carefully to not ruin her make up. Evie didn't even noticed she was crying.

Suddenly, Evie felt a wave of clamness and peace. She smiled grateful to Jasper.

"Who made you cry on this joyful day?" Alice asked.

"We just wanna talk to them," Jasper jokingly added, making Evie chuckle.

"Ahh, there goes the smile!" Alive smiled. "You're much better when you smile,"

"I swear, you are the best, guys," Evie giggled gratefully.

"Wanna talk about it?" Alice asked.

"I'm okay, really," she reassured.

"Don't feel guilty," Jasper said. "You have the right to be mad at him,"

Evie smiled at him, grateful. The Cullens were so understanding. She felt grateful to be their friends.

"Well, we should tell Bella," Evie said. "I'm sure she would be happy to see him back,"

Alice looked at Evie a moment. The shapeshifter always thought of other before her own self. But sometimes, she should allow herself to be selfish.