Chapter 19

Even though Sam lost the element of surprise, the Cullens were outnumbered and they knew that. But Jacob and Evie bought them time which was already something big in the situation they were. Time was not a luxury they could afford and yet, they had more. But the other issue was the baby. Even if Sam wouldn't be the one killing it, the baby itself would kill her.

The Black pack was about to leave but Jacob suddenly stopped.

"What is it?" Evie discreetly asked him.

"Man, I can smell ’em from all the way out here!" Leah complained as she suddenly reached them.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He asked.

"Leah?" Both Evie and Seth exclaimed, surprised.

"I’m not gonna let my little brother and sister get themselves killed," Leah said as if it was obvious.

"We're not children, we can take care of ourselves," Evie shot back.

"Now you feel what I feel," Seth whispered to Evie.

"Shut up, Seth," Evie whispered back.

"That you think so proves that you need a babysitter," Leah shot back too.

"I would never let anything happen to her," Jacob said with the most seriousness. A soft smile appeared on Evie's lips as fluster and pride fill her. "Anyway, did Sam send you?"

"Sam doesn’t even know I left," the oldest Clearwater said. Seeing Leah joining them was quite surprising, very unpribable, but still possible. Eventhough she hated the Cullens, she loved her siblings.

Just then, howlings of wolves resonated in the woods.

"I think they just figured it out," Seth said.

"Jake, I know what his plan is," Leah said. Both Evie and Jacob shared a look, as if they were having a silent conversation. Having Leah by their side was a plus.

"Alright," Jacob gave in.

"Sam’s lost the element of surprise and he doesn’t wanna take them on outnumbered," Leah said. "So he’s not gonna come at them head on. He’s got the place surrounded and he’ll wait for his opportunity,"

"So in short, is surveiying us," Evie said.

"Yes," Leah nodded. "The moment he'll spot an opening, he'll attack,"

"So we stay on our guards," Jacob concluded.

After that, the pack reported that to the Cullens so they could prepare themselves. Most of them were ready to fight but Carlisle was against it. Even though Sam didn’t care about the treaty anymore, for the doctor, it was still of actuality. But the main problem was that none of the Cullens had hunted for weeks. Fighting would be hard, very difficult. But they were still willing to make it work.

The Black Pack had decided to stay at the Cullens to guard the house. The slightest move would be reported. The night had covered Forks. Standing outside the Cullen’s house were Jake and Leah. They were the first line in case of an attack.

"I know they’re out there somewhere, but I can’t hear them anymore. It’s so quite," Jacob said, looking at the dark forest.

"I stopped hearing them too. The second I decided to leave. Even Aaron...," Leah said. Jacob looked at her.

It was still so new to him to know that Leah had imprinted. She was so into Sam before he left. And now, she had another half to spend the rest of her life with. Actually, Jacob was glad for her. He understood her pain in some way. And now she had someone to count and rely on.