Chapter 22

"I thought he was on Bella’s side," Sarah voiced, confused.

"I can't believe he threw us away like this!" Leah almost shouted in anger. What remain of the Black pack was still in the forest with Paul and Embry. Jacob left to go back to the Cullens. Paul called Quill about the sudden twist.

"Leah," Evie called in a unusual serious tone. It was quite surprising to them.

"You knew about this?!" The older Clearwater asked.

"He did what he thought was right," Evie said. Leah was about to say something but Evie beat her to this. "This was necessary," she added, looking straight at her sister's eyes.

Leah stayed silent. She knew her sister. She was never this serious if it was not necessary. Evie knew something. Something that she couldn't say in front of Paul and Embry. It was a plan.

The oldest Clearwater took a deep breath and calmed down. And the rest of their team seemed to have gotten the message.

"Seems like you and Jacob made up," Paul said catching everyone's attention.

Evie looked at him. By doing this, she caught a sight of Embry. He seemed interested but embarrassed at the same time. After all, he liked her. It should have never happened, but he still did. And it was quite insensitive of Paul to bring up the topic knowing damn well how complex it was between Jacob, Embry, and Evie.

"I can't see how it's any of your business," Leah shot back walking go stand next to his sister.

"Shouldn't you be with your imprintee?" Seth added, standing on the other side of Evie. Soon, both Aaron and Sarah joined their imprintee.

Embry looked at each and everyone of them. The Black pack was so close and protective of each other. Hd could see the bond that linked them. The Uley pack expected them to messy and unorganized as they were created out of nowhere and so recently. Not to mention that they had no council to guide them. The Black pack was basically freestyling. But the Uley pack was wrong and Embry could see it. The Black pack was somehow working.

Paul chuckled and held his hands in surrender.

"Relax! I didn't mean to offend anyone," Paul said. "It’s just surprising how things changed so fast. Weeks ago you wanted to shred him to pieces and now, you two are lovers again,"

"A lot of things happened," Evie said. "He realized things and I realized some,"

"So... you are back together again?" Paul asked.

Evie stayed silent. It wasn't that she didn't want to answer. But she didn't know what to answer. Were they really back together? Were they boyfriend and girlfriend? They did kiss but they didn't talk about it. It wasn't really the right time. And besides...

Evie glanced at Embry. She knew she would go back to Jacob. The bond that linked them was unbreakable. She loved him to an extant she couldn't describe. But Embry liked her. And she didn't want to hurt him. She knew it would have eventually happened. But she couldn't bring herself to. The situation was already painful. Even though Embry lied to her and made a choice that wasn't his to make, Evie missed him. She missed her friend. Their hang outs, their conversations. They were so close and now... Everything was shattered. And she had no idea if they could recover what they had.

"I'm happy you two are back together," Embry said, snapping Evie out of her thoughts. It was quite surprising not only for Evie but for everyone else there. They all knew how the Call boy was fond of the Clearwater girl. And that was exactly why he said this. All he wanted was Evie's happiness. As well as Jacob's. "You look... better," he smiled.