Chapter 21

A/N: because I know I let you hanging at the end of last chapter, you have a little gift in this chap.

Enjoy!
--

"Hey, Jacob!" The two lovers heard.

The sound of Seth's voice was like a slap to them. They snapped back on earth, out of their little bubble and took numerous steps away from each other. This couldn't be more awkward. Evie stared at floor as she cleared her throat, trying to ignore the intense blush on her face and her insanly quick heart rate.

"There's no blood bag ledt anymore. Carlisle has news about the birthing," Seth said, looking amused at the two shifters. They were avoiding each other's stares like the plague.

"Yeah... uh, I... I' coming," Jake only said. He glanced discreetly at Evie before heading to the house. Seth sightly chuckled and followed him.

It took a few seconds for Evie to compose herself. The memory of the moment before was playing non stop in her head. She kept thinking about what happened. And about what could have happened. Jacob's face was so close to her. His lips were only millimeters away from hers. Just one step and the gap would have been closed and she could have tastled his lips again. Evie loved her brother dearly but she had to admit, she was quite mad at him at the moment. If he wouldn't have came, Jacob and she would have kissed. She had waited, craved for his touch for so long. And she was about to have it but it all suddenly vanished.

Evie sighed and shook hed head. It wasn't the moment to think about it. Bella’s life was the priority at the moment. So the shifter quickly composed herself and headed to the Cullen's house. Everyone was already in the living room. Evie entered and stood beside her sister.

"You'll have another chance to kiss him," Leah teased quietly so only Evie would hear. But the chuckle of Aaron told her not only her heard.

"Shut up," Evie muttered.

"So, that's the last of it?" Jacob asked, nodding to the cup Bella was holding.

"Bella could deliver as early as tomorrow," Carslile said. "If she's going to have any chance at all, she'll need more blood," he added.

Evie sucked into her breath. If the birthing was tomorrow, it also means that the fight with the Uley pack would be tomorrow. The vampires would be too busy with Bella, probably trying to save her life and having tbe baby. It would be the perfect moment for the Uley pack to attack.

It was strange for Evie to even consider fighting them. Last week, they were all having fun and spending time together at the beach or at Sam's place. And now, they were enemies. Even changed so quickly. Never she had even thought of fighting them. Even if their views were diverging, they were still her friends. Paul, Jared, Sam, Quil, and Embry. She hadn't even talked to him since their talk at tbe beach. And she had no time to think of it either. The situation was so crazy she had completly forgotten she was mad at him. But with everything that is happening, she couldn't even be mad at him anymore. S
There were things more important. And beside, she hadn't the strength anymore.

"And you need to feed," Esmee told her husband. "You have to be at your strongest for her. We need to go tonight,"

"Carlisle, you're the enemy now," Jacob said seriously. "Sam won't hesitate. You will be slaughtered,"

"Emmett will come with us," Esmee said.

"I doubt it will be enough," Evie said.

"We have no choice," Carlisle said. "If there's anything we can do to save her, we have to try," he added, determined.