Chapter 11

•••

•••

Jacob was standing near the cliff in his wolf form. He was watching Evie who was sat on a log before the sea. Jacob wanted to run to her but he restrained himself. He was no good to her. He better stay away. So he turned around and walked away. As he moved further into the wood, he smell a sugary and acid smell. The next second, near the treaty line, stood Edward Cullen.

"How long will you watch her from afar?" He asked, straight forward.

Jacob looked away.

How did you know? Jacob thought. Thanks to his abilities, Edward hears it crystal clear.

"You were careful to not be seen but I did hear bribes of your though from time to time," Edward said. "I wasn't sure it was you. Now I have my confirmation,"

Don't tell Evie, Jacob thought.

Edward frowned.

"Why? She's waiting for you,"

Jacob kept quiet. Suddenly, the memory of his conversation with Embry poped up in his mind but he quickly thought about something else, not wanting Edward to see. But it was too late. Even though the vampire hadn't seen or heard everything, he understood.

"Evie is hurt," Edward said. "She loves you and she's waiting for you. Even though you kept your distance to not hurt her, it only did the complete opposite. She needs you. Don't you think it's the right time to come back after these past two months?"

Why do you care? Jacob thought, irritated that Edward read through him so easily.

"Evie is my friend. I care for her," Edward said. "And I understand you. That's why I'm telling you this. I, too, left to protect the one I love. But it nearly ended up in a catastrophe. I only hurt her more. You are doing the same mistake that I made,"

Jacob didn't say a word. He listen carefully, thing that he never thought he would do with a vampire. But deep down, Jacob knew Ed was right. The Cullen left to protect Bella. He knew the pain Jacob was in. But he also knew how bad it could turn out. Bella was basically willing to put herself into deadly situation just to see him. Even though Evie wasn't like that (fortunately), Jacob didn't want to hurt her anymore. He then staying away was the bear solution, but thinking about it, was it really?

"Tomorrow, Evie will be at the wedding," Edward said. "I know her. I know she will feel lonely seeing all the mates paired up. It may be a good surprise for her if you come back,"

Jacob kept quiet again. But Edward knew Jacob would show up for Evie. Otherwise, he wouldn't be coming back every two weeks just to have a glimps of her.

Jacob sighed and pulled the cover over his head, Evie's necklace in his hand.

Was Edward right? He thought. Should have I came back?