Chapter Fourteen

Buying Time by Lucky Daye

Thousands of tears and applesauce cups later, my angel is finally out of the hospital! I can finally breath and not feel like the world is coming to an end.

Cynthia, Gabriel's nurse, pushed his wheelchair down the ramp to the automatic doors. I'm walking beside them keeping good pace. I watch as he smiled and waved at everyone that walked by us. Old and young people smiled back and waved goodbye as if they've known us forever.

"I cant thank you enough Cynthia," I say as we approached the car. "I don't know what I would have done without you." She stayed by our side from day one. My favorite person these past 2 months. She gave a small grin and stopped at the car giving me a look as I opened the door to help Gabe in his car seat. "Now how many times do I have to tell you to stop thanking me?" She dismissed my with her hand and proceeded to strap him in.

I laughed at her statement and walked to the other side placing my backpack and purse in the seat. Danny and I came here straight from work, leaving us to change clothes in the restroom. I grabbed the red and yellow rose bouquet without her knowledge and made my way back to her side. As she turned, she gasped and placed her hands on her chest, where her yellow rose necklace sat.

She explained that it was her late sisters and she gave it to her before she passed of a tumor on her kidney. Cynthia doesn't speak much of herself but she opened up well with me and with our current situation, helped me out more than I can explain. She reminds me of my mom. God how I miss her. She was very patient with us and extremely gentle with Gabe. She even gave him a giant panda bear and Black Panther action figure to help calm him when I had to work. Gabe is only three so naturally hospitals are scary for him. The very first week of us being here, she would always come on her breaks and sit with me. It also took forever to convince Danny and Elijah that I was alright by myself.

And I mean a lot of convincing.

I placed the bouquet in her open hands and said playfully, "I know you said not to buy anything but im stubborn and wont leave until you take them." Shaking her head, she pulled me into a tight but much needed hug.

" Thank you baby." she whispered in my ear "Take good care of yourself and keep those boys out of trouble." I nod my head.

Cynthia gave us one last wave and blew Gabe a kiss which made him giggle and made her way back into the hospital doors with the wheelchair.

I sigh as I turn back to Gabe and say, "Ready to go home?" He clapped his hands with excitement. "Im ready mommy!" He replied but suddenly his face turned up in confusion.

"Mama?"

"Yes baby?" I pat down my pockets looking for the keys. Where are those damn keys?

"Where's Uncle Danny?"

I knew I was forgetting something!

Danny had the keys because I gave them to him when we walked in and its his rental car. Honestly, he's still not completely comfortable driving since the accident. He is slowly coming to terms with what happened but still cant stop blaming himself.

I turned as I heard the sound of footsteps behind and got a face full of panda ass. Of course its Danny. I gave him a slight shove.

"Did you get lost?" I grabbed the panda and opened the trunk so he could throw everything else he grabbed in it.

Gabe was too busy laughing at how disheveled he looked and I would have as well if I didn't see the hickey on his neck.

Horny bastard..

You know you wish it was you.

I mentally rolled my eyes at the nagging voice in my head.

He gave me the biggest grin and said, "I may have taken a detour with Dr. Sexy." I frowned and stopped him "You mean the doctor with the cow lick and combat boots?" He shook his head so hard I thought it was gonna fall off. I scuffed and took the keys making my way to the drivers side

Only Danny can get some in a hospital....

~~~~~~~~~

We had finally made it home at a decent time. I just ordered pizza because after work, I never really feel up to cooking. Danny took Gabe to change into his PJs while I put food away and cleaned up a bit.

I turned on my speaker and let the smooth sounds of Lucky Daye fill the front room. I was so in my cleaning zone, I didn't hear the door open and close. I opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned expecting to see Danny but came face-to-face with the man of the hour.

Elijah Augustine along with a basket full of candy, red wine and a thick stack of papers.

"Good evening, Miss Allen." He placed the basket on the dining room table. He reached the papers and sat them in front of me. I glanced down and it was then when I realized it was the contract.

I sat in one of the chairs and crossed my arms ready for his next words.

This outta be fun.