Chapter Thirteen

Wifey by Qveen Herby

Nobody spoke a word. I feel like we've been sitting for days. Its only been 6 hours. I don't think I can take anymore. "Calm down, Odette." Elijah spoke "It's going to be alright." I didn't even know I said that out loud. I rubbed my eyes and took a glance at my hand forgetting I was wearing makeup. I don't even care if I look like a dying raccoon. That was the last thing on my mind right now.

"Gabriel Allen's family?" I looked up and a tall, older doctor. I shot up and almost gave myself whiplash.

"I'm his mother," I started "How is he?" He gave me a strange look and raised an eyebrow at me. "You can't be his mom. You are far too young."

"I said how the fuck is he?!" I yelled making everybody in the room jump a little. I clenched my fists at my sides. The Doctor cleared his throat and took a step back.

"Gabriel suffered a punctured lung. The crash broke two of his lower ribs which caused it to cut deep enough to seep air into his chest cavity. It also resulted in his left lung collapsing." I could already feel the tears coming back. "His left fibula was also broken but I do believe he will have a fantastic recovery."

"Thank you so much." I wiped the tears off my face.

"He's still asleep but you may go back there." He gave a small smile and walked the opposite direction.

I turned walking to the door and grabbed the knob and pushed the door open. I feel like my heart took a swan dive into my stomach. His little body looked so broken. They had his leg elevated and his torso was wrapped along with cords connected to a big machine helping him breath. As I kissed his forehead, I heard a soft knock on the door. A small nurse walked in the door. She wore dark scrubs and a high ponytail.

"Hello, Ms. Allen," She shook my hand "I'm Cynthia and I was just letting you know that Dr. Smith informed me to let you know that his recovery will take a few months but with the right medication and good amount of rest, he'll get better in no time." I gave her a nod and watched her leave only to let in Elijah. I gave hi a small wave and sat on the couch. He sat down next to me.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"I'm better than what I was," I laughed "I don't know what I could have done if I really lost him. I couldn't even think when I got that call. Sitting in that waiting room made me think too much. I was thinking about when he was first born, his first steps, when he grew his first tooth." I sniffled.

"I couldn't bare the thought of not seeing him go to prom or walk across the stage at graduation or get married."

I covered my mouth to silence the cry that escaped. I put my head down and just let it out. I kicked off my shoes and laid down with my head in Elijah's lap.

"Thank you for being here for me today."

I felt his chest shake with laughter. "We are about to be a family, its the least I can do." He said holding my hand.

"Don't remind me." I said, rolling my eyes. Asswipe.

~~~~~~

Not my best/favorite chapter but its been a long while since I put up a new chapter.