Chapter 5

The room wasn't that big. There was only one bed in it. I gave zu a bath and let her stay in there for a little while until it was chubs turn.

I washed her hair a good three times and let her wash her own body. She was 11 and I knew that, but she didn't get a normal childhood, none of us did.

I waited until it was my turn. I washed my hair a good few hundred times is what it felt like. I took the bag that zu had found at that gas station. Where we ran into the league and lady Jane.

She found it in there cause they had it for another kid. I hadn't realized until now that we hadn't searched the bag. It had a toothbrush, some clothes, some food, pads and tampons, and a necklace.

The necklace had a note on it. It said if we ever get separated, hold onto this for three second, and it will send me your location, but only me! Your friend, cate.

I didn't know who cate was, but she seemed like she was nice. I put the stuff back in the bag. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw how skinny I was. I was all skin and bone.

I heard a knock on the door and I threw on my towel, "Genevieve?" Liam sounded nervous.

"Give me a second." I told him.

"Just open the door for a second." So I did.

"What do you want?" I said as a cold blast of air hit my skin.

"I uhh just wanted to give you these." He said handing me a pair of socks.

"Aren't they yours though?" I asked.

"Yeah uh but you need them. Chubs said your extremities are they first thing to get cold or whatever, and you need them....so you.....don't die.." I laughed.

"Use your words lee!" I heard chubs shout

"Shut it chubs!" He said back.

"Man you got a way with the ladies Liam, gotta teach me your ways pal." I hid my smile, but not very well.

"Just take them, I have others!" He put them on the counter and walked away.

"Hey Liam?" I said before he walked away completely.

"Yes?" He asked curiously.

"Thank you." I whispered. He smiled and walked off.

I shut the door and looked back in the mirror. I heard chubs in the other room "see...she was fine you should have just left her alone!" But I think me and Liam both knew I wasn't ok.

I washed my clothes in the sink with a bar of soap so they smelled minty. When I got out of the bathroom zu was under the covers of the bed. Liam next to her reading a story.

Chubs was at the desk reading his own book. When I looked at it it was "water-ship down" one of my favorites. My dad used to read it to me as a little girl before bed.

I sat on the other side of zu. Getting under the covers and snuggling up to her. She wrapped one of her arms around me. When Liam went to get up she grabbed onto his arm.

"What? You want me to sleep here too?" She nodded when he said this. He smiled. "Sorry chubs, looks like you'll be sleeping alone tonight." When we looked over at him he was already asleep in his desk chair.

We all laughed as Liam took his glasses off his face. He climbed in next to zu and turned off the lights. "Goodnight guys." He said.

"Goodnight Liam. Night zu." I said in return.

I couldn't sleep so I turned on my back and looked at the ceiling for a while. Taking in the sounds of zu's breathing and chubs snoring. "Go to bed darlin" Liam said as he grabbed my arm.