Chapter 20

GENS POV

When Kiley came up to get me we headed straight to the kitchen. I kinda stood around for about 20 minutes till it was time to serve dinner.

She showed me what I had to do and walked away. I stood their for a while just dishing out food. Chubs came up got get food and when he took a good look and saw it was me he looked surprised.

"What are you doing serving?" He asked me. I laughed aloud and got a few started from the other people in the kitchen with me.

"Sorry." I mumbled to them. "I have a surprise! So I have to work to get it." I said to him. He smiled and walked away with his sloppy joe. I smiled to myself.

Zu walked up after him. She had a look on her face as if to say 'tell me please!' I shook my head and served her, her food. She walked away with a pout that I knew would soon be a smile.

After about 45 minutes later when the line died down and people were no longer coming in, me and Kiley went to work trying to figure out what we could make.

"Well we are about to have a lot of apples go bad since no one eats them, so how about like an apple pie, or like apple dumplings?" She asked.

(Apple dumplings are like pie crust covered apples only it's soft not like hard mast crust.)

"Yess! And we can put syrup on top?" She asked me. I nodded. That sounded amazing and I knew zu would absolutely die for it!

"Yes that's perfect! Ok does anyone have allergies cause we need a backup for them." I asked her. I didn't want anyone dying.

"No one has allergies, that we know of." Said a girl named Olivia. I just prayed no one did.

"Thank you! This really means a lot to not only me but all of the kids here tonight." I said to them and they smiled at me, but they weren't forced, they were genuine.

"Ok it should take us about an hour to get it finished so we need to start now!" Kiley said and Olivia and me walked out to inform all the kids their would be desert tonight.

Just like any other night everyone is by the camp fire. "Hey! Listen up!" I tired yelling but no one was listening to me.

"HEY SHUT IT!" Olivia yelled and they all shut up. I smiled at her and i could feel my face heating up so much. I didn't like being in front of people.

I looked around for Liam but didn't find him so I continued with what I was going to say. "So tonight, in honor of all the school kids, for doing so well and everyone's hard work, we made dessert!"

The crowd started cheering and clapping and a few of the younger kids were jumping up and down.

"Ok if your allergic to apples, pie crust, maple syrup, or cinnamon, please come and tell us how so we can make something for you! We are having apple dumplings!"

They all had smiles on their faces and a few more cheers rang out. I met chubs eyes and he was smiling, but it wasn't forced like I feel like he's been doing recently. He was truly happy.

I looked over at Zu and Hina and they were hugging each other and Zu looked so happy. She looked over at me and ran over to me and hugged me. She had a paper in her hand and it read 'thank you.'

I smiled at her and said. "Don't tell anyone, but this was all for you." And she smiled brightly. She pulled away and went to drag chubs into our hug.

He grumpily walked over and hugged me. "You've outdone yourself this time." He said and I smiled to myself.

"You don't seem too happy." I said.