Chapter 4

Noah glared at something on the other side of lunchroom before his eyes shifted back to me. I couldn't look away from his nearing figure, his intense gaze trapping me in and making me feel like a prey.

"Martin," he said as he reached my table, dragging out the empty chair right in front of me and slumping down on it.

"Sylvan." I sat up straight, trying to imitate his cold-attitude and failing.

His glare dimmed and lips twitched slightly, trying to keep back a smirk. He leaned forward and took the sandwich from my food tray as if it was an absolutely normal thing to do.

"What are you doing?" I asked as he started unwrapping the sandwich's cover. That's my food!

Noah shrugged. "I thought why not say hi to you." He again looked at same direction and narrowed his eyes. This time I followed his gaze to jocks' table and found Jason, our football team's wide receiver looking back at us and sporting a frown. "How's Gabriel?"

I turned back to Noah. "He's good." I threw a weak glare as he took the bite of my sandwich. He didn't seem slightly bothered, in fact his eyes brightened, teasing me as he chewed the bread. "Seriously, what do you want?"

"You."

My heart skipped a beat.

"Gordon's throwing a party tonight," he continued, "I want you to come. I'll pick you up."

It took me a moment to compose myself. "It's a school night. Who throws party on Monday?"

Noah shrugged. "Gordon is strange like that."

If one of them was throwing a party, I knew only selected people were invited, which were usually the richest and belonged to powerful families. People like me didn't belong there. Despite Gordon's friendly and helpful nature, he too didn't mingle with every poor soul, sitting on top like the rest three with a title of 'the kind one'.

Being invited to their parties was a big deal, and being invited by one of them even more so. And if Noah Sylvan was offering to pick you up, you might as well die.

"I'll pick you at eight." He stood up ready to leave -with my sandwich- as though he hadn't just dropped a bomb on me.

"I didn't even say yes," I spluttered.

"Then say yes," he added dismissively like a condescending jerk he was.

His snobby behavior always pushed my buttons. This kind of attitude wasn't going to fly with me, no matter how desperately I was crushing on him.

"No. I'm busy tonight." I might've just committed a sin saying no to Noah Sylvan, but the look of surprise and disbelief on his face was worth it. Of course, the Prince wasn't used to hearing 'no'.

He settled down on the chair again, staring me down with those mesmerizing eyes. He was very displeased. "Busy doing what?"

"Assignments, homework and stuff."

"So you're saying no to our date because assignments, homework and stuff?"

Wait, what?... Date? He was asking me out?! I thought it was just an invitation to a party. So Noah Sylvan was asking me out on a date! Am I dreaming?

"Uh..."

My confusion and shock must be amusing to him because the side of his lips lifted. He looked so sure of himself. "Last chance Martin. What do you say?" He finished the sandwich as he waited for my response.

"I say no." I huffed. Of course, I wanted to scream yes, but damn he was so annoying and arrogant, and there was nothing more I wanted than to wipe that smugness off his pretty face. If only he could be little less assholish. But then again if he was sweet, I knew for sure I'd be kissing the ground he walked on. At least, his arrogance kept me sane.