Chapter 17

"What is it?" I asked, keeping myself from getting lost in his vibrant gaze.

"Prime Goblins have this thing called companions," he said, watching me closely, "the one we fall in love with. For our whole lives. In human language you can call them our soulmates.

"Companions are made for each other. Their looks, scent, mind, everything is made to suit and attract each other. Many goblins believe it is our soul binding itself with its other half, while some physicalist pin it to our unconscious mind choosing an ideal mate for ourselves. There are theories, but no one denies the pull we have for our companion.

"Just a glance is enough for us to know who they are to us. In our world, it's a given that we'll end up with our companion... unless there are some very serious complications."

His words hit close to home. "Did you find yours?" The question spilled out of me before I could think. 

"Yes." His answer built the anticipation.

"Can a goblin have a human companion?" I asked.

Well, that didn't sound desperate at all Giselle.

"No, Goblins don't have human companions."

His reply struck me like a hammer on my chest. So I had no chance with him. Just a thought of seeing Noah with someone else clenched my insides. It physically hurt. He wasn't mine. Noah Sylvan wasn't mine. 

Insecurities and anger followed the hurt as the bitter reality settled.

Why in the world would I ever be chosen for Noah? Now thinking something like that felt stupid. He was beautiful, mystical supernatural being, way out of the league of a pathetic, fat human. Us being together didn't make sense. 

Then what was I doing here, lying in his arm and hearing about his fairytale world? Why did he kiss me like that just hours ago when he'd ride off into sunset with someone else? If I meant nothing against his companion, so why was I here?   

I tried to get myself off him, but his hand around my shoulder pulled me back.

"Calm down Martin. You didn't get this excited when I told you I'm Goblin," Noah drawled, amused.

I didn't find anything amusing about this situation. "It's not funny Noah." I glared at him. "Let go of me."

"Nah." He smirked, enjoying my agitation. "I'd rather keep you tucked beside me."

My glare sharpened. "Abigail told me you were a player, but I didn't take you for a cheater. You literally have your soulmate out there and you're in bed with me... Why am I even here?! You-"

He smashed his lips against mine, shutting me up. I should be screaming and clawing at him, but I found myself getting lost in his taste. I lost any inhibition when his gentle kiss turned ferocious and dominating. Once again I was underneath him. My hands were over my head held by him when I made a halfhearted attempt to push him away.

"You're cute when you're jealous," he whispered before leaning in for another kiss.

I turned my head, making his lips land on my jaw. A gentle bite on my chubby cheeks was my punishment. I almost mewled under him. 

"What are you doing?" I scolded him, trying to un-cloud my mind. I finally managed to pry my hands off him when his grip loosened and push him away.

"I'm trying to kiss my jealous little soulmate," came his husky reply. Huh?

Before I could blink, his lips were again on mine. This time I couldn't stop the moan when he bit my lower lip and delve his tongue inside my mouth. He was ravishing me with no qualms. I didn't have the will power to stop him. My fingers dug into his hair and pulled him into me. We didn't stop until we were gasping for air.