Chapter 13

"He's just some random guy Gabriel met in the woods," I lied, or more technically didn't disclose the full information. Gorrie was a random guy that Gabriel met, just not in the woods but at 'Realm of Magic'.

"Hmm, I wonder how come I never met the guy when he's wandering in my land," Noah said, his piercing eyes studying me. "Isn't it strange?" He didn't look convinced with my reply.

"Yeah, like I said that guy is strange." I felt my face heating up and had the sudden urge to scratch the back of my head. I wasn't a bad liar, but it was hard to lie straight to Noah's face. Especially when he was looking at me like that.

His eyes narrowed but before he could say anything front door opened and my mother sauntered in.

She looked at Noah surprised. "Noah," she said, her face splitting into a grin as she recognized him. "It's a pleasant surprise to find you here. I hope this time my daughter didn't get drunk and drag you here."

"No, I came here to spend some time with Giselle and Gabriel." Noah got off the couch to greet her and take the grocery bags from her hands. 

"Oh, you don't have to," she protested but couldn't stop him from carrying bags. "Well thank you. Just keep them near the sink." 

"It's the least I could do Mrs. Martin after wiping off your home's cookies and popcorns." With a charming smile he followed her to the kitchen and placed the bags near the sink, leaving me to stare at him in wonder. This scowling prince was getting real chummy with my mother. It was as if he was trying to get in her good books. 

Everything aside I was glad Mom showed up at the right time. Noah had been all ready to grill me about Gorrie if she hadn't stepped through the door. 

I looked at Gabriel who had a big fat pout on his face as he was snuggled against the other end of couch and glaring at Ironman movie playing on television. I might not be his favorite person right now but if he had hidden about Gorrie and Magic Realm from me for weeks, he sure as hell wasn't going to open his mouth to Noah. Our anger and frustration got the best of us and we both slipped before.

"I'm sorry that night I didn't get to thank you properly for bringing Giselle home safely, but she told me how good you're to her," Mom said to Noah. They both were standing near the kitchen island. I moved to join them.

"You don't have to thank me Mrs. Martin. Giselle is my responsibility too."

I raised my brows in surprise when my mother smiled, pleased by him.

"Now that you're here you aren't leaving before dinner," she said. "Seeing my daughter hadn't started on anything I'll cook for you tonight." She shot me a look.

"It's not her fault. I showed up uninvited," Noah defended me.

I frowned at her. "You're the one who is early."

"I'll go get changed," Mom told Noah, ignoring my remark, "I'll be down in a minute." She went upstairs.

Later Mom prepared chicken pot pie and roasted veggies to go with it. She must've liked Noah to cook her special dish for him. I helped her with chopping vegetables and mushrooms. Noah tried to work with us too but he didn't know the C of cooking, so he was ordered to sit down on a stool next to the kitchen island and entertain us by chatting. Minutes later Gabriel joined him too, not wanting to miss out on 'adult talks'.

It was nice seeing Noah so homely with my family. He wasn't at all a snobby jerk that I earlier thought him to be. 

"Is there something between you two that I should know about?" Mom asked us as we were setting the table.