XLIII

*Keller's Pov*

I couldn't leave just yet, I had to see the twins.

Their goodbye would hurt me the most. Cainis was only half the reason I'm doing this but the twins are my reason for everything. I love Cainis and I'm his mate but the twins are my life and my children, nothing, not even Cainis, is more important than them.

I parked a little away from Bethany's so the headlights didn't show and closed the door quietly. I wasn't sure how to go about this but I needed to see them so I did the rational thing and rapped Bethany's door softly. Enough not to wake up the twins but enough for her to at least hear me. I had a spilt second of just going, what was I supposed to tell her anyway? But the lock clicked and she opened the door.

"Keller? Come on in."

I looked behind me and ahead, debating. I stepped in through the space she made for me.

"What brings you here at this hour? You want some tea?"

I smiled at her remembering that I don't like coffee.

"No I'm fine, thank you."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I just missed the twins."

I played at the most reasonable excuse.

"Lie to someone else Keller, what are you planning?"

"Nothing, why?"

I tried saying it cool but my voice gave me away.

"I may not have been a mother long but I've been around enough grown men to know when they aren't telling me the truth."

Why did she have to be so smart?

"I did come to see the twins though."

I laughed a little to try and make her forget I lied.

"Mhm so what are you planning?"

"I can't tell you Bethany, I'm sorry." I sighed, giving up the facade I had.

"I'm not trying to be mean but if what you're about to do is going to hurt those babies, I'd like to ask you not to do it."

"No, I would never do anything to hurt them, I'm doing it for them. I can't keep them at dangers door, waiting for something to happen. I have to protect them."

She nodded "And what about Cainis, does he know?"

I shook my head "I'm protecting him by him not knowing."

"Do you know why a shifter's mate makes them calm enough not to forget their human side?

"Not completely."

What did that have to do with this?

"They make a shifters animal weak and vulnerable, opening them up from thier soul but he can't do that with you, all he can do is protect you Keller, don't take that away from him, let him protect his mate and pups."

"I can't, I have to think about only the twins. I wish I could do nothing but rely on Cainis, I think I can stop this and I'm going to try. Please don't let any of them know, promise me."

"I know your worries and I wish I could convince you otherwise but I promise.

"Can you do me one last thing?"

"Anything."

"Keep them safe please, let them know I love them."

"They're in the guess room, they should hear it from you."