XXVII

*Lincoln's Pov*

"What did I tell you Cainis."

Basel was shaking just because of his presence.

"Listen Lincoln, I just talked to my father and I need to talk to Basel, you can watch if you want I just need to ask him some questions."

"He isn't going back so don't even think about asking."

Cainis may be my Alpha but my mates well being controlled Lazer more.

"I won't, just let me talk to him, please?"

I knew him asking was hard to do but I was still weary.

"I'll tell you what you want to know."

Basel's voice broke our staring contest.

"Are you sure Basel? You don't have to."

He nodded "I want to, besides I want you to know as well."

"Thank you Basel."

I glared at Cainis to remind him of not stepping out of line while he spoke to Basel.

"What do you want to know?"

"How far is your pack from here?" Cainis asked.

"Maybe about six miles? Lincoln told me your lands reached eighteen acres yesterday so they're about that far from your lands border."

"How many are there?"

"Almost sixty."

"Why so low?"

"I guess sense we were created by someone other than the Moon Goddess we can't reproduce the same."

"Do you know who made you?"

"No, I'm just a lowly omega I'm not allowed to know anything the higher ups know."

"Makes sense, omegas aren't really important to most packs."

I growled lowly when Basel flinched.

"Sorry. So what do you know?"

Basel looked between me and Cainis.

"I'm needed for some sort of plan. I don't know what it is but Alpha used to say when the time comes when I'm useful I won't live to see the outcome."

"I heard your pack was made up of viciously cruel people, why aren't you like them?"

"I guess sense I'm an omega it doesn't affect me but Alpha says it's also part of the plan. I'm too pure apparently."

"That doesn't add up. Why only you? Why are you so important for them if they hurt you?"

"I don't know much myself all I know is they aren't going to stop looking for me..maybe I should just go back."

Last straw.

"You absolutely will not! I don't care how many times they come here I won't give you up."

"Lincoln, they'll kill anybody who gets in their way and sense I'm so needed they won't stop at any cost, your pack will be in danger."

"No and that's final."

"Lincoln."

"Stop it Basel, you are my mate and I will protect you."

"I'm not a female Lincoln!"

Him raising his voice was a shock.

"You don't have to remind me!"

The words left my mouth before I could stop them.

The look on his face was pure agony, clear my words hurt. I tried to reverse it but he stood and ran to the room slamming the door.

"Shit."

How could I have been so fucking stupid.

"Lincoln, it's not your fault okay?"

I wasn't hearing his words, too distracted over making Basel sad.

"What the hell did I do Cainis?"

I sat before my legs gave out on me.

"He'll be okay, he's your mate, he won't be mad long."

I straightened up.

"I'll go talk to him."

"Alright I'm going to leave, I'll be back tomorrow."

I nodded at him.

Once I heard the front door close I walked to my bedroom door. I thought it was cute that he ran to my room even though he was mad at me.

I knocked "Basel please open the door?"

"No."

"Come on."

"No."

"You're acting like a kid."

"Great I'm a little girl now?"

"I didn't mean that Basel."

"No, sleep on the couch."

"It's my bed though."

"Couch."

"Can I get a blanket at least?"

"No."

I huffed out a breath of frustration but obediently went to the couch.

The couch was not comfortable and I made a mental note to get one that was just in case this happened again in the future. I tossed and turned not being able to sleep anymore without holding Basel. After internally fighting with myself I gave up and went to my bedroom door again.

"Basel can I please come in there? I need to hold you."

He didn't answer.

"Basel."

Silence.

"I'll break the door down so open up."

Nothing.

I broke the handle of the door and barged in but instead of seeing Basel curled in the middle of my bed I saw a note.

Lincoln,
  I don't want to be with you anymore. After today I don't think I'll ever forgive you for hurting me. Goodbye.

No. Basel.

I fell to my knees and the tears came with me.

Basel. Basel. Basel. Basel.

His name was a chant. I was shaking from the pain in my chest.

"Basel."

I whispered into the emptiness.
》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》》
                                        ♡