XXIII

*Keller's Pov*

Cainis brought us back to Bethany's for the night considering he had to stay in her watchful and caring eyes for two more days. 

Walking through the door I saw the twins asleep on the couch.

Hannibal had his arm around his sister and gave her most of the covers. I smiled at how adorable they were, Mercy had a food obsession and Hannibal just went along with everything she asked, don't get me wrong though, they still bicker.

I tiptoed over and pressed a kiss to each of their foreheads. I turned back to see Cainis watching me with adoration.

We both laid in bed not really sleeping but thinking.

I loved Cainis but if the twins don't like him I can't do it. I'm all that's left for them and I don't plan on giving them up.

I wasn't ready for them at first because of fear, I had a scary and haunting past that I didn't want to get in the way of my caring for them but with Cainis everything was seeming to fall even more into place.

I smiled.

"You love them don't you?"

I assumed he was speaking of the twins

"More than you could guess."

It was lightly spoken but I knew he had heard me.

"Are they biologically yours or adopted?"

"Adopted."

I yawned.

"Can I ask what happened?"

Without thinking I began telling him.

"My cousin Spencer and  his husband Quincy died and left them for me. At first I was so scared. I never wanted to come back to North Carolina again and I didn't know if I was ready to take on kids. Now I just couldn't imagine not being with them."

He stirred.

"Wait, what do you mean come back to North Carolina?"

"That's for another time Cainis, another time."

I pat his shoulder and closed my eyes, ready for sleep.

"Kell, are we official now or you want two more dates first?"

Somehow I mustered up the strength to laugh

"Go to sleep Cainis, there's always tomorrow."

I felt him kiss my hand and I fell asleep smiling.

"It's love Hannibal and he wouldn't do that."

Mercy shouting at her brother made me get up from a peaceful sleep. I looked at the clock reading nine am.

I threw the blankets back and put my feet on the floor. I stayed in my clothes last night so I didn't have to bother with putting anything on.

"He could." Hannibal snapped.

"No!" Mercy wasn't giving up.

I didn't know what they were fighting about but I could hear the tears in her voice.

I turned down the hallway for the living room. Mercy was wiping her eyes and Hannibal, though he upset her, hugged her close.

"What's going on?"

They both looked up.

Mercy ran at me latching onto me like a spider monkey.

"Hannibal says you love KiKi more than us and you are leaving us alone."