XIX

*Cainis' Pov*

"Don't give me false hope, please don't. I can't make it without you and I need to be strong for Hannibal and Mercy, even they're worried, wake up, wake up, wake up."

I hear Keller but I can't get to him. Why's he here? Why does he sound so broken, I need to get to him.

I can feel his tears on my hand but all I can do is hear, I want to see him and comfort him.

Why can't I move?

I felt him lay his head down beside me. Move, move damn it move!

I finally moved, slightly opening my eyes. I was instantly greeted with a grateful looking Keller.

"Cainis."

He said my name so softly as if only wanting me to hear him.

I tried to say something back but my throat was so dry I couldn't. I felt like I got hit by a semi.

Ugh.

"Cainis can you talk?" I shook my head.

"Oh okay, um you want some water?"

I nodded.

I saw him leave the room for water.

I tried sitting up but when I moved my chest felt like I had a knife shoved into my lungs. I grunted laying back down.

Keller came back with my water and Beth.

Why was she here?

Keller walked over settling the water in front of me with a straw for me to use.

"Cainis, you remember what happened?"

I thought back and looked at Keller.

We talked, I know that and I went to bed, right?

I was going to shake my head when the memories starting flashing. Lincoln came in, rogues, my father, I was stabbed.

Damn.

I nodded for her.

"Okay that's a good start. You had three broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a severe knife wound in your lower abdomen. I gave you morphine but your body kept fighting it off too fast, so I had to medically comatose you."

Wait, I was in a coma? For how long?

My panic must have shown because Beth spoke again.

"You've been out for about six days."

Six days?

I looked at Keller. Was he here the whole time? I tried to speak again but without any success.

Fuck.

"It's perfectly normal not being able to speak the first day or two after waking up Cainis so don't beat yourself up over it."

Apparently I'm an open book or maybe it's just Beth.

"You probably should get more sleep though. I'll unhook everything tomorrow."

She gave me a slight smile after checking me over, leaving me and Keller alone.

Keller just stared at me.

I was tired and sleep sounded good now. I began closing my eyes, Keller grabbed my hand kissing it. I reopened my eyes, I forgot what he had said to me. I smiled feeling his lips brush against my hand.

I wanted to stay awake and just feel him but I couldn't fight the drowsiness taking over.

"I love you."