The Flea And The Acrobat (Pt. 1)

𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙵𝙻𝙴𝙰 𝙰𝙽𝙳 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙰𝙲𝚁𝙾𝙱𝙰𝚃
𝙿𝙰𝚁𝚃 1

𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙵𝙻𝙴𝙰 𝙰𝙽𝙳 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙰𝙲𝚁𝙾𝙱𝙰𝚃𝙿𝙰𝚁𝚃 1

"What was Will saying?" Mike asked.

Sat on the couch in the Wheelers' basement with El's head resting on her lap, Ally attempted to remember the words that the missing Byers boy had left them with.

"Like home... Like home... but dark?" Mike recalled as he paced around the room.

"And empty," Lucas added.

"Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?" Dustin asked, unsure.

"I don't know. The stupid radio kept going in and out," Lucas complained.

Had Ally not just regained consciousness, she would have undoubtedly snapped out a sarcastic response but seeing as she was exhausted (and probably looked like the walking dead) she decided to let the comment slide this once.

"It's like riddles in the dark," remarked Dustin tiredly.

"Like home. Like his house?" Mike tried.

"Or maybe like Hawkins," Lucas suggested.

Ally nodded slowly, wincing as she worked up the strength to talk.

"Yeah. Something like that. But when we were channeling him, it was like he was here, in Hawkins, but at the same time it didn't feel like Hawkins. It just... wasn't right..." Ally croaked out as she struggled to explain what she had felt.

The girl tried to remember the reasoning behind her feelings but she couldn't quite find the words to describe it. But then suddenly, El spoke up and a lightbulb went off in Ally's head.

"Upside down," El whispered.

"What'd she say?" Lucas asked in confusion.

"Upside down," Ally and Mike chorused in realisation.

"What?"

"Upside down," Mike repeated.

"The board," Ally realised.

All eyes turned to her. The girl carefully shifted El off her lap and moved- no, struggled to get up off the couch and approach the D&D table. Thankfully, Dustin - bless his soul - stood from his place on the stairs and helped her up, practically carrying her to the table. Ally shot him a grateful smile before sitting down in her chair.

"When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember?" Ally explained as the boys took their seats.

"Upside down," Mike said, demonstrating.

"Dark. Empty," said Ally, pointing at the dark side of the game board.

"Do you understand what they're talking about?" Lucas asked Dustin.