CHAPTER 40.

Chapter 40: 2 Years Did Go by Fast. 

*

"Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart."

-Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore-

*

Sometimes, what the heart wants is not necessarily what's right and sometimes, what the brain wants is also not right. On occasions like this, one's true nature and upbringing comes in question as they solve this circumstance.

Islah Reza-Ibrahim faced this when he was none but a programmer at his father's corporation. He had gone for a meeting in the city where he stumbled across the inter-city high school cyber competition at the venue.

Taking interest, he had walked into the stadium and stood by the sidelines, watching. Their main sponsor happened to be his father's good friend so he was let in with a VIP pass. That was when he saw her.

His blue-gray eyes were watching the screen very closely. He saw how the programmers broke the codes and links, getting what they want. But he also saw their loopholes and then saw them fall. His eyes scanned the crowd for computer 2 and once he found it, his eyes lingered on the way long slender fingers grazed the keyboards. It was magic, he thought with a smile. They were so rapid and so elegant, as if the person had practiced this all their lives.

"Who is number two?" he questioned, as he saw a peach hijab. A hijabi, he thought with a smile. He found it very motivating to see muslim women in the field.

"She's from Bláithín Academy." The person beside him replied. Before he could ask more, his phone rang. The call was from home, he had to leave immediately. Since that day, Islah would think about the moment quite a few times when he's reminded of the season. He only wished he could tell the person how much he envied their work on the keyboards.

***

"She's back."

The words struck him like a lightening, awakening every fiber in his body. Yusra was back. He turned to face his mother with a small smile.

"And?"

"And we are leaving for dinner at their place in five minutes. Think you can survive that?" Islah let out a laugh.

"Of course."

"I know you were in pain, Islah. But it all ends today." His mothers words were a promise, he noted. He shrugged, shoving his hands in the pockets of his brown trousers. His mother smiled and walked out of his study, leaving him alone to his thoughts.

It wasn't that he was afraid to see her, no. It was the exact opposite. He was excited to see her but he was also afraid of her answer. He didn't want to rush her into anything. They could be engaged for a while, not married if that's what she wants. Even if its painful for me.

Islah Reza-Ibrahim wasn't known to be a patient man. He was known for his steadfastness and organization. He was always ahead of other people of his age but in this matter, for Yusra; he made an exception.

"And tonight, it breaks." He muttered, rubbing his forehead. His blue shirt set against his skin crisp and proper with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His skin color was no longer tanned but rather fair due to the amount of time he spent indoors recently. He didn't like it though, he liked the tan better.

The watch on his left hand read six fifty and he knew they'd leave soon. A heartbeat later, his mother called out for him. He sighed and walked out of the room.