CHAPTER 23.

Chapter 23: Speechless. 

*

"No one has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold."

-Zelda Fitzgerald-

*

Weddings are beautiful and romantic, everything Yusra did not like. Adding onto aunties who want their sons married (or worse, married to her) and loud family she did not wish to meet, Yusra was convinced weddings were not her thing.

But when one has a mother like Nasreen Abideen, one cannot argue with her logic. So here Yusra stood, in front of the large city hall, dressed in her finest clothing. Of course she had to ditch her Nikes today for three inch heels but it didn't matter to her mother. What mattered was, finding her daughter a good husband. In her dreams! I am not getting married any time soon!

"Let's head in" Nasreen said, holding Maha's hands and Dawud took Yusra's. The two ascended the large steps in front of the hall and walked through the magnificent mahogany doors leading into the main hall.

The hall was decorated in colors of Lavender, white and dark purple. The ceiling was draped in white cloth with vines and leaves creeping around it. Lights glowed along the vines, giving the white cloth a soft . There were flowers everywhere and Yusra's eyes widened at it. The main stage had been draped with lots of different colored flowers and leaves.

"Why are there so many flowers here? It's like Khloris threw up here" Yusra whispered to her father who turned to her with an amused look. It did look like it okay! So many flowers, so pretty flowers.

"That is because it's a wedding, Yusra! Don't let your mother know. Now lets go" Her father dragged her to the table where her mother and cousin were seated. Maheen and Abaan were not with them because Maheen fell sick while Abaan had school work to finish so they opted to stay home. Nasreen had dragged Maha and Yusra along though.

Yusra picked up her dress slightly as she took a seat on the silk covered chairs, crossing her legs over each other. Yusra wore a long sleeved evening beige colored dress that fit her upper body perfectly and fell down from her waist to the floor, in multiple pleats. Above the beige pleats was a lighter shade of single layered tulle with multiple beige flowers embroidered on it. The flowers started from the bottom and ended half to quarter way to her waist. She paired the dress with a darker shade of beige hijab.

Yusra looked around the place, her green eyes scanning for familiar faces. Islah. She checked her watch and realized it was 8:30pm and they were still not here. Perhaps they will not come?

She whipped out her phone from her dress' hidden pockets (she bought the dress because of the pockets) and logged into Instagram, browsing through the feed. Nothing much here. She switched the back-light of her phone off and looked around, observing the people.

Her mother saw some friends and she stood up, pulling Maha with her. When Maha stood up, all eyes turned to her making her fidget. Yusra smiled at her sister and squeezed her hands.

"You look amazing! Don't worry" she assured her and Maha smiled back. Maha did look amazing, wearing a dark blue dress that was very much similar to Yusra's save for the tulle. Instead of that, hers had glitters from the bottom that ended quarter way from her waist. Her dress also had a waistband and the upper body had a lighter shade of blue sequin work. She had paired it with a lighter shade of blue hijab.

"Yusra! Come!" Her mother's voice called out and she let out a slow whine. I don't want to meet them! She saw Maha grin and turned to her father to see him already in conversation with some people. She sighed and stood up, placing her phone back in the pocket of her dress. Her heels were digging into her feet and she felt they would bleed any time soon. Perhaps they already are?