CHAPTER 22.

Chapter 22: Damn he's tall. 

*

"Once again, you show all the sensitivity of a blunt axe."

-J. K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince-

*

Yusra walked into the house and stood by the door, waiting for Islah Reza-Ibrahim to leave. Islah gave her one last wave before he jogged towards the driver side of his Jeep. Damn he's tall. She felt herself smile at him. How has he not conquered the world yet? She could see him settle in the jeep and grin at her under the dim lighting of her house.

Just then, bright lights blinded her perfect vision of the man. She winced, closing her eyes. Her family was home. So she walked out to the veranda and stood, leaning onto the large pillar. Her mother was the first to get off their Land Cruiser, followed by Maheen and Maha. Her eyes followed her mother who had rushed to Islah. I bet she is wondering why he is here?

Her father greeted Islah too before they saw him out of the house gates. Maha stood beside her with a smile.

"How was work?" she asked Yusra, snapping her out of her trance.

"Okay. How is your grandmother?" Yusra asked her and Maha sighed, rubbing her face. Yusra knew something went wrong at their casual meet today.

"Hey" she caught Maha's attention just as others were making their way to the door. "How about we talk in my room after this?" Maha smiled at her gratefully and nodded.

Nasreen opened the door of the house and let everyone in while she walked to the living room with her husband. Yusra walked behind them and caught a few of their conversation.

"We must thank Islah for taking care of Yusra today, Dawud." Nasreen said and Dawud nodded at her. "How about dinner this weekend?" Jeez mom. It's just Monday!

Before they could speak anything else and before she got caught listening in, she took the route up to her room. Yusra showered, changed and lay on her bed staring at the white ceiling. The day's events rushed through her mind like a movie and she found herself smiling. I like him.

She heard voices from downstairs and sighed. They are quarreling again? She tuned them out and turned to the other side where her phone was charging. Should I message him? To check if he went home safe? Pffttt Yusra, her mind sassed.

The voice of her mother was growing louder and she huffed a sigh, sitting up on the bed. Her dark hair fell to her face and she blew it away. Shaking her head, she got off the bed and padded through her room towards the living room downstairs. Whatever they are arguing about better have a reason!

"She did not have any right to talk about my niece like that!" Yusra raised an eyebrow at the statement. So something did happen. She scanned the room and saw Maha sitting on the couch, in tears. Yusra's eyes widened and she rushed to the aid of her cousin. Taking a seat beside her, she placed her hands on hers.

"What's wrong, Maha?" she asked gently and Maha looked up to her with tears still streaming down her face. Yusra flinched at the sight of an emotional sister. She wiped away the tears and hugged Maha, rubbing her back.

"Shhh. It's okay" she whispered, but Maha continued to sob in her arms. Yusra turned to her still arguing family. Maheen was talking to Dawud, her voice firm while Nasreen was backing her up.

"What is going on?" Yusra found herself questioning. Nasreen shot her a look that said stay out of if! While Dawud turned to her to explain. When he saw Maha in Yusra's arms, he smiled slightly.