Chapter Nine

As Shoto walked, he adjusted his cuffs and the links, one just slightly crooked. He perked up slightly as he heard excited chittering from a single person drawing nearer.

Shoto picked up the pace and turned down the next hall, eyes widening slightly.

Izuku walked alongside a familiar guard- Mezo Shoji. He bounced around, fingers hooked together behind his back as he looked around in amazement. Once he spotted the Prince, he gleamed and bolted over, startling his guard.

"My prince!" He greeted, grabbing his arm. "I have an official guard now! He's a lot like Iida. Hi, Iida!"

Tenya smiled and bowed.

The Omega grinned wider. "I can walk the halls, now!"

Shoto felt as if he got whiplash from all the excitement and fast talking. "Yes, I can see that. Is Shoji showing you around?" He asked, steadily recovering.

"Mm, more like I'm wandering aimlessly as he follows, answering any questions I have as well as he can," Izuku mused, trodding happily beside Shoto as the prince begins walking.

The two guards fell in step behind them.

Izuku looked around the halls in wonder. "It's so beautiful and bright in the palace. It's gigantic, too. The palace back home isn't quite as big," he mused aloud, Shoto watching the way his curls bounced.

"I suppose so. Father had it built specially before I was born."

The Omega looked up to him, concern clear on his face and in his scent. "Are you okay..? You're quiet and tense today. More than normal." Izuku lowered his voice, enthusiastic tone gone so easily.

"I'm fine, Izuku," he murmured, placing a hand over the Omega's on his arm. "I suppose my Father's stress is wearing off on me. Supposedly, the Beast King grows angier by the day."

"Oh," Izuku swallowed hard, tensing himself beside the prince. "Any idea why..?" He questioned, almost as if he didn't really want to know the answer.

Shoto shook his head. "No... I had hoped to ask you, though, seeing as you had known him. You had left his kingdom not to long ago."

Izuku nodded slowly, eyes on the floor ahead of them. "Right... Well, my... Previously betrothed lived far from the palace. I haven't seen Kacc- ah, the King lately," he answered softly.

The prince stayed quiet, only a moment going by before he noticed.

The Omega's scent was steadily beginning to sour, head low as his fingers kneaded nervously into Shoto's arm. He rubbed his cheek carefully against the prince, scenting him in an attempt to calm himself down.

Sighing, Shoto pulled them to a stop. This almost seemed to startle the Omega. "Izuku, what's the matter," he asked carefully, trying to soften his own scent to ease the distressed Omega.

Izuku shifted, gaze flittering. "Just... The King is... Very frightening when angry..."

"You knew him personally, right..? Would you happen to know what could have caused this anger?"

The greenette breathed in shakily, face too pale for the prince's liking. Izuku finally shook his head. "No..." It was just a breath, but Shoto was able to hear. "He is so... Easily angered... Anything can set him off and everyone has to pay..." Izuku voice was meek. Almost as if he was afraid the king they spoke of could hear them.

Shoto frowned deeper, looking down to the Omega's hands that gripped him. One hand had fairly prominent scars he had noticed a few times before. Gently, he placed his hand atop that one, finally gaining that emerald gaze. "Is he one of the reasons you left..? Aside from your previously betrothed..?" He asked, wanting to comfort the Omega more than anything.

Izuku bit down on his lip, worrying on it. He appeared scared to answer. "Yes..."

The prince breathed in and leaned in closer. He made his scent stronger and continued walking. Shoto had never been good at physical affection or comfort, but he wanted to let the Omega know he was safe and he wouldn't let any of the ghosts of his past take him back.

"Want to see the library?"

Izuku looked up, tilting his head at the change of topic. He smiled and relaxed, then nodded. "Yes. I'd love to see the library."

-----

703 words