Chapter 23

“Lan Zhan?”
“Wei Ying..” Relief flooded his veins as he saw Wei Wuxian had opened his eyes and had given him a small smile while wiping away the tears that were still wet on his cheeks. Lan Wangji held his hand against his before nuzzling into the warmth and placed a soft kiss on his palm.
“I thought..I was too late, again.”
“No. Lan Zhan, I’m still here.” Wei Wuxian placed a delicate kiss on his lips before standing up and pulling Subian out of the ground.
“Lan Zhan, I had promised JianYu that I would return him the happiness he has given me and that means returning his partner to the underworld.” Without even needing to ask for his help, Lan Wangji unsheathed Bichen and nodded at him.

‘JianYu as soon as we get an opening you will help return his memories and from there I will send him back to the under realm’
‘Are you crazy! You know there’s a possibility you won’t return to the mortal realm right?’ Giving a soft chuckle Wei Wuxian readied his stance to attack. ‘But I have you, and knowing you, you would find a way to bring me back as soon as possible.’ JianYu himself could only reluctantly sigh before he chuckled at his ridiculous plan. ‘Fine. But don’t blame me if it takes a full human year or two, time in the mortal realm moves differently than in the mortal realm.

This made him stop in his track and turn to Lan Wangji who had also stopped as he was slightly behind him. “Lan Zhan..”
Without a warning Lan Wangji pulled him into his arms. “I waited for 11 years. I can wait another one or two years.”
Shocked and confused he pulled his face away from his robes.”How-”
“I have been able to hear JianYu since he returned my memories.”
“Oh, well, anyways i'll be back soon and when I do.” With a devilish smirk he leaned closer to his ear that was slowly turning red. “Let’s make a baby Lan er gege.” And with a kiss to his lips he ran away.
“Wei Ying!”
Although he was laughing he could feel the slight sting in his eyes.

’No I can’t cry now I have to stay strong.'
With a deep breath he tried summoning stygian tiger seal but the twins didn’t appear before him. “What’s going on?” Panicked, he tried multiple times as he watched Lan Wangji rush past him to stop the attack that was aimed at Jiang Cheng.

“Why? Why aren’t they appearing?!” Of course the only one who could answer his cry had been too busy stopping attacks from reaching the people that were down and recovering their energy.
‘Wei Ying, it’s time you have to do this.’
"No, I can't do this without them! They said they would help me..why aren't they here."
'It's better if you don't know for now.'
With deep breaths he called Chenqing back to his hands and played the melody JianYu had engraved in his mind.

Lan Sizhui felt a slight tap to his head before that tune was poured into his memory, and without hesitation he sat down and along with his father he played the tune that made Hu Feng stiff.

Filled with rage Hu Feng tried attacking Wei Wuxian until the melody of another flute entered his ears causing him to go at a slower pace.
Lan Xichen had also gotten the melody and before long Lan Wangji had begun playing.

“Bastards! You think your little music can stop me!”Pushing through the melody Hu Feng rushed towards Wei Wuxian, ready to stab his sword through him.

Yet with a short nod from Wei Wuxian, Nie Huaisang stood in his way, the fan that Wei Wuxian had given him clutched in his hand.
“Idiot! Get away from there!!” Nie Mingjue screamed at him but Nie Huaisang held his ground for the first time without running away. With a wave of his hand strong wind pushed Hu Feng back. Each wave of his hand created blades of wind that would leave cuts in their wake.
Stunned Nie Mingjue quietly took his words back.

Without having to be told anything Wen Ning pushed his chains into the ground before they appeared below Hu Feng, completely tying him down onto the ground.

“Lan Jingyi, A-Cheng, A-Li, A-Ling and peac- Zixuan, create a sword barrier.” With a nod they all stabbed their swords into the ground allowing a barrier to surround both Hu Feng and Wei Wuxian. Taking a deep breath, he allowed JiangYu to speak through him.
“Hu Feng.” Although their voices echoed it still caused Hu Feng to freeze and listen. “I’m sorry, it’s my fault you turned out this way.”

As if a fog cleared in his mind Hu Feng responded with a light chuckle.”It’s not your fault my JianYu.” At that moment JianYu wanted to cry and hold his lover close. “Yes it is, I knew that staying by your side would enrage Yin.”
“Little Yu, you forget I was the one who loved you first, no matter how many times I’m reborn I will still only love you.” With a smile he closed his eyes. “Now hurry love before I can’t stay conscious.”

“But that means you’ll feel the pain-”
“It’s better than hurting our child anymore than I already have.” Shocked JianYu had thought Hu Feng wouldn’t have noticed.
With a stiff nod both JianYu and Wei Wuxian drew an array on Hu Feng’s chest and on Suiban a blood seal before they drew one on their body.

“A-A-Xian, why are you drawing one on yourself.” With a soft smile he spoke softly. “I have to go again for a bit but I promise I’ll come back.”

“No..no! You can’t do that to us again!” Her shout startled everyone which caused them to falter in their playing. The melody had stopped and caused Hu Feng to slowly lose control. “Do..it...now”

“Jiang Cheng, Jin Ling, Lan Jingyi, Jin Zixuan. No matter what happens you have to keep this barrier up until it’s over.” Of course they wanted to say no but they knew if they released the barrier Hu Feng would be released.

With tears streaming down his face he gave one final smile. JiangYu and Wei Wuxian stabbed the sealed sword into Wei Wuxian’s body, shocking everyone. Yet when he removed his hands another sword appeared in his hands that was stabbed into Hu Feng. Taking deep breaths Wei Wuxian moved Mo Xuanyu revealing the soul body of Hu Feng.

The sword had done no damage to the young boy who laid unconscious outside the barrier, but another thing could be said for Wei Wuxian who had coughed up blood.

“Wei Ying..” Lan Wangji’s voice was quiet yet filled with so much pain and worry that he couldn’t do anything to take away the horrid fate of his partner.  “Lan Zhan, l’ll be fine.”

“It’s time you return to the underworld Hu Feng.” A dry laugh came from his bloodied lips as the ground below them cracked open for both men to fall down. Jiang Yanli was the first to move her sword wanting to go down herself and to get her brother. “No Yanli, you can’t go.” Wen Qing held her back as she cried in her arms. “He said he would come back so please relax.”

Soon enough the ground had closed back up, no trace of either Wei Wuxian or Hu Feng could be found. A deafening silence filled the air before the sobs could be heard. They wanted to believe Wei Wuxian would return like last time, yet without his body it was as if there was no chance of him ever returning.

The first one to react was Song Lan, Xiao Xingchen and Xue Yang. They placed their hands together and bowed a silent thank you to Wei Wuxian before they left quietly.
Everyone else had done the same, a quiet now filled with gratitude.

“Let’s..let’s all head home.” Without a word Jin Zixuan took Jiang Yanli into his arms ready to leave but noticed Jin Ling wasn’t following him.
“Jin Ling.” With red eyes Jin Ling looked over to his parents and saw them together before turning and seeing his uncle with Lan Xichen and lastly he saw Lan Sizhui who was holding back his emotions while staring emotionlessly at the spot Wei Wuxian had disappeared into.
Walking over he took his face in his hands. “Come to Koi tower with me.”
“I can’t..father he can’t be alone..not again.”
“Then I’ll stay in Cloud Recess with you!” Shocked, Lan Sizhui let out a slight laugh before he allowed himself to cry in Jin Ling’s arms.

“Jin Ling..you better behave.” With that Jin Zixuan left with his mother in his arms. Although shocked that his father didn't say anything he allowed himself to cry along with Sizhui before everyone made their way back to their homes.
The last one to remain there was Lan Wangji. He knew Wei Wuxian would return but the sorrow in him made him feel as if the short time he spent with his Wei Ying was only a dream.

“Please, come back to me soon.”