Chapter 2

"I wish I was on floor 84," you overheard a conversation as you got food in the cafe a few floors down. "Have you seen their bosses?" the girl continued, "Oikawa's so dreamy and Kuroo is the total package." You laughed in your head. What was so special about them?

"Did you get what you needed?" Kyoka asked. You nodded and walked off with her.

"Those two really get around," you sighed.

"You've been working here for what, a month, and you just realized?"

"It's a shame there aren't more girls in division 1. Maybe then Kuroo'd have someone else to bother," you rolled your eyes. "I get they're good at what they do, but they're so young. How are those two even our bosses?"

"Connections," she winked. "You really lucked out with them. You should use them to your advantage." Your friend had clever ideas but you didn't have the patience for that.

"Hey Y/N! Whatcha working on?" Kuroo asked, rolling a chair over to your cubicle later that day. He did this everyday. At first you were annoyed, but with a little time you realized he wasn't all too bad.

"Don't you have anyone else to bother?"

"In case you haven't noticed," he frowned, turning your computer off, "it's 11 P.M. You stay here too late."

"Huh?" you jumped, looking around. He was right, there was hardly anyone left. "But I have to finish my work for the deadline!"

"I'll excuse it," he smiled, handing you a plastic bag. "Now open this."

"What is it?" you asked.

"Just do as I say."

You pulled out a styrofoam box, the room immediately filling with the smell of Chinese food. "My favorite!" your face lit up. Kuroo rested his chin in his palm as he watched you. "Why though?" you turned to him, confused as to what the occasion was.

"You haven't eaten all day. Even when you do, it's that nasty cafeteria food downstairs. I heard you like Chinese so I got some from a much nicer place." You stared at him. "What? I can't treat you? I do have to win you over, you know."

"Good luck with that." You two bickered for a bit before you got a call from an unknown number. You ignored it at first, but decided to pick up after your phone rang a second and third time. You froze when you recognized the voice, phone slipping out of your hands.

"Hmm?" Kuroo asked as you got out of your chair and hurried out. He followed you, finding you sitting on the floor of a hidden hallway. He slowly walked over and sat down next to you. You two were silent for a while. "What's wrong?" Kuroo asked.

"I don't know how he got my number again," you said quietly after a while.

"Who?"

"My ex. H-he's crazy," you gulped, surprised at how much you were telling your boss. "He left a note at my front door the other day..."

"Oh god," Kuroo turned your face to face his. "Don't tell me that's why you've been working so late these days." You looked down, avoiding eye contact. He pulled you in so your head rested on his chest. "Why didn't you say something?"

"It's not your problem. You have other things to worry about."

"Are you serious? As a boss the first thing I have to worry about are my workers like you. It's my job to make sure you're ok." Who was this man? This certainly wasn't the same boss you knew an hour ago.

"It's ok, I'll get a hotel room until I figure something—"

"Absolutely not," Kuroo interrupted. "You're staying at my place. It's decided."

"What? No!"

"It's safer. It's gated place. I won't pull any tricks either, promise. There's a guest room for you."

"I'm not being a burden—"

"So it's decided," he interrupted you again. "Get your stuff together, we can talk more when we get home."

Home. The way he said it made it seem like his place was yours, too. You wiped a small tear as you and him stood up and stared at each other.

"You know, you're nothing like what I expected," you mumbled softly.

"Told you I'm charming," he wrapped his arms around you. "I'll never let anyone hurt you. I promise."

Normally you would have pushed him away and rolled your eyes at his attempt to get close to you, but for now, the way he held you in his arms felt just right.