Chapter 15

"They make us stay later and later each year," Kuroo complained as he and Oikawa walked to their meeting.

"At least we get a few days off for the New Year. Y/N's joining us tonight, right?"

"How'd you know?" Kuroo stopped him.

"I figured you'd work things out by now," Oikawa shrugged. "Guess I'll find a date then too."

"There's six hours 'til New Years you idiot," Kuroo smacked the back of his friend's head.

"You underestimate me," Oikawa said as he sat down at the table and their meeting started.

Halfway through their meeting though, Kuroo got a phone call. He kept his phone on do not disturb in meetings—it was only supposed to ring for emergencies. His heart dropped when he answered.

"Kuroo, please. Off the phone, it's disrespe—"

"I'm sorry, I have to go," Kuroo grabbed his stuff and hurried out the room.

"Excuse me," Oikawa apologized. "I'll bring him back."

"Kuroo!" Oikawa called after him, but Kuroo ignored him.

He called his friend again, sliding his hand in just as the elevator door shut.

"What is wrong with you? There are executives in there!" Oikawa scolded him. Kuroo looked pale and was jittering—it seemed as if he was in a hurry to get somewhere.

"I'm not going to ask you again," Oikawa grabbed Kuroo's collar and made him face him. The clicking of the elevator passing floors could be heard as Kuroo ignored Oikawa and looked down.

The doors finally opened on a ding and Kuroo shrugged Oikawa off, leaving his phone in his hands and running to his office. Oikawa stood outside the elevator looking at the message on Kuroo's phone.

It was a text message from someone Kuroo knew in the police. You'd been found hurt at a home in a suburb outside of town, where you told Oikawa you were picking up your dress from.

"Don't tell me..." he looked at Kuroo as he hurried back from his office.

"She's in trouble."

"But the cops are already there. You should stay for the rest of the meeting."

"I don't want her to be alone," Kuroo pressed the button to the parking garage. "Cover for me, will you?"

"Alright," Oikawa sighed as he thought of excuses for his friend.

-

Kuroo got in his car and drove to a suburb on the outskirts of town. His police contacts recognized your name on the scanner from the previous requests Kuroo had made about you and quickly notified him.

Kuroo's breathing became shallow as he neared a home with police tape. He got out of his car, ducking under the tape as a police officer let him through.

"Is she ok?" he frantically asked his friend, another officer standing outside a bedroom door.

"She only seems to have minor injuries but she won't speak. Please see if you can get her to speak sir," he said as he slowly opened the door. Kuroo walked in and found you huddled in the corner, face buried in your arms.

This night had to be some sick joke: being baited with a dress and then kidnapped for information.

You and Kuroo both knew of the witness protection ID you held. Thoughts flooded both your heads, but neither of you brought anything up.

"Y/N, what the hell happ—" he paused when you looked up. The side of your forehead had a deep wound and your lips had bruises on them.

"Why are you here?" you muttered, standing up and pushing him away. "Leave. I don't want you here."

You slowly started walking to the door when you felt your legs give out. Kuroo caught you before you fell.

You were so embarrassed in this moment. How were you supposed to explain what happened to Kuroo? After all, you thought your past was hidden from him.

"I said," you coughed up blood, "I don't want you here. What don't you get? I'm fine." Kuroo wiped the blood with his sleeve and pulled you in.

"You're not fine, let me take care of you." You tried to resist but were too exhausted. "Shh," he ran a hand through your hair and kissed your forehead. "You're gonna be alright. I promise I won't let anyone hurt you ever again."

As he picked you up and carried you outside he thought about how he'd made the same promise before. He knew he had to do better.

He opened the trunk of his SUV and set you down so you sat on the edge, grabbing a first aid kit from under the trunk cover. He was getting bandages out when your head tipped forward, falling onto his chest.

"I don't want to go to the hospital," you whispered, grabbing his shirt collar. "I'm fine. Please don't make me go." Normally Kuroo would have questioned you, but the sense of desperation in your voice stopped him.

"Okay," he rubbed your head. "Let me see what I can do." He brought an officer to stand by you while he went and talked to the others. You were resting your head on the side of the trunk when the officer next to you spoke.

"You're really lucky to have someone like him, Miss. He'd do anything for you," the officer said, walking away as Kuroo came back.

"I can fix scratches up myself, but the police have to question you as soon as you're well," Kuroo said. "I'm no doctor though. You still have to go to the hospital for some things."

You shook your head and he grabbed the side of your cheek.

"Look at me."

"But I said no hospital," you let out a small cry. The thought of the cold, sterile environment of a hospital scared you in this condition.

"Please, Y/N. Kira's a doctor, her hospital's just around the corner. She'd do a much better job than me. Her shift just ended but she'd stay later for you."

"Kira?" you asked. The name rang a bell.

"Yeah," Kuroo smiled for the first time. "My sister. She loves you, she'll take care of you. You don't have to be afraid."

"You'll stay with me too?" you looked up, grabbing his arm. He pulled you in so your face fell in the crook of his neck.

"Forever," he rubbed his head against yours. "Let's get you fixed up now. You don't have to tell me what happened until you're ready," he said softly. You nodded as a tear of yours fell down his shoulder.

You'd just made up with Kuroo, why'd this have to happen to you now of all times?