Chapter 32: Wedding Day!

Everyone was here for the big day: coworkers, friends, family, even your granny who used to live below you. You'd wanted a small wedding but Kuroo insisted a larger one would be more fun to plan. As long as he did all the work, you didn't really care.

It was a cloudy day at the beach resort where the big event was taking place. You never were one for formal festivities but you were still nervous. There were too many places to mess up, especially walking down the beach with your delicate white dress.

Your hair and makeup was just finished and Kyoka was busy preparing for the ceremony in an hour. You were waiting for the man who'd be walking you down the aisle to check in on you. He walked in moments later.

"How do you feel?" Akaashi asked, kneeling before you. "You look beautiful."

"I'm a little nervous," you smiled, patting the edge of the bed beside you. He sat there and you rested your head on his shoulder. "Never in my life did I think I'd be getting married. But here I am." Marriage just wasn't something you were looking for: you simply didn't see the point when you could be furthering your career. That was before you met someone like Kuroo who made you see life from a different angle.

"You found someone who makes it worth it. That's a beautiful thing." You two were silent enjoying the few moments of peace before the ceremony when you spoke up.

"I'm really sorry we couldn't be anything more, Akaashi. You were so good to me, I'm just always gonna be hung up on Kuroo, for better or worse."

"Don't apologize. All I want is for you to be happy, and you really are happiest with him," he parted your hair away. "I've moved on. I'm just grateful to be able to give you away to someone who truly loves you."

"I'm grateful to have someone like you who was there for me through all those tough times. I wouldn't be here without you." You gave him a light kiss on the cheek, making him blush. "I thought you said you'd moved on?" you teased.

"What?! I have. I just wasn't expecting it," he huffed, looking away. Your smile was contagious and he slowly smiled too. Akaashi's phone rang shortly after and he picked up. "Let's walk you down this isle now," he helped you up, walking with you towards your new future.

The next thing you knew you knew walking down the aisle with Kuroo's nieces as flower girls. Akaashi let you go and there you were, standing in front of your soon to be husband.

"Hot damn Y/N, you look gorgeous," he muttered quietly as the officiant gave his speech. His mother shot him a glare, eyes telling him to stop whispering. You tried hiding your big smile as Kuroo began to read his vows but it was too difficult.

"I can't believe you're here in front of me, Y/N," he began. "Where do I even start? I love you so much. I love how you understand me. I love how you make every day different and something to look forward to. You're the light of my life. You've made so happy these last few years, showing me what life truly is. You motivate me everyday to be the best I can be. I vow to put in everything I have to make you proud to have me as your husband. I vow to love you through sickness and health, success and despair, because a lifetime with you is not nearly enough, and I don't want to waste a moment of it without you. You're my everything, Y/N, and I'm so lucky to call you mine."

You could hardly remember your own vows after hearing his, but you did the best you could.

"Y/N and Kuroo will now exchange rings as a symbol of the promises made here today and their ongoing commitment to each other," the officiant told the crowd. One of Kuroo's nieces came down the aisle with both your rings and Kuroo took yours in his hand.

Kuroo placed a simple yet stunning diamond ring on your finger. It was different from the ruby engagement ring you had on. It resembled the simple kind of person you were, something Kuroo had learned over the years.

"Kuroo, please repeat after me," the officiant spoke. He said what he had to, the usual mumble about commitment and love, before it was your turn. When it came to getting his ring, however, you froze for a moment. Kuroo took your hand and squeezed it, giving you his smile that always put you at ease.

You then grabbed the ring from Kuroo's nephew, placing the gold band on Kuroo's finger. It had silver diamonds in a row across and was elaborate as could be. You also knew him well, so you knew he'd love to wear something you saw as so stupid. You repeated as the officiant said. Time flew by and before you knew it the big deal had arrived.

"We are gathered together here to unite this man and woman in the bonds of matrimony." Your attention snapped hearing the important words.

"Do you take Y/N to be your lawfully wedded wife?" you heard him ask Kuroo.

"I do."

"Do you take Kuroo to be your lawfully wedded husband?" he then asked you. Now wasn't the time to tense up.

"I do."

"Then by the authority vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and—"

The officiant was cut off when Kuroo wrapped his arm around the small of your back and kissed you. It didn't even catch you by surprise—it wasn't like Kuroo to follow the rules anyway.

"—wife," the officiant continued. "You may now kiss the bride, which I see you've already gone ahead and done."

"Sorry," the two of you laughed, looking at each other for another kiss and then looking at the crowd.

You had a clear view of everyone who was there to support you. Kyoka, your first friend in the office. Oikawa, the person who'd helped you understand his best friend so much. Anaka, his girlfriend and the nurse who you'd confided in so much. Sakura, the waiter on the night of your first date. Granny, your downstairs neighbor, and only sense of family for so long. Kuroo's family—his big family made up of five siblings and all their children—who'd been there for you and treated you like their own from the start.

And finally, the man by your side: Kuroo. The man who vowed to protect you before you were even aware. The man who promised to keep you happy through everything.

"Your family just doubled," he whispered in your ear as you prepared for pictures. "You...and me," he kissed your forehead. You felt a tear fall down your cheek.

"Shut up," you muttered. "I don't want to be crying in the pictures."

"Happy tears, Y/N. Happy tears. We have a lifetime of those to come."