Chapter 29

"Y/N!" Oikawa greeted you as you walked in the lobby of your office building. "Wow, you look so different!" You'd grown your hair out and died it a bit lighter.

"Really? It's just the hair," you smiled as he suffocated you with a hug.

"Looks great," you heard another familiar voice say from behind you.

"Oh! K-kuroo," you said nervously as he rubbed your head, messing your hair up.

You felt comfort in the way he teased you. It reminded you of back then.

"Sorry, talk later. I have to go," he ran off. You didn't get a good look at him because he was there for such a short amount of time, but he had a different aura about him.

It was almost as if he...no, it couldn't be...moved on?

"He didn't wanna talk," you sighed, looking down and fiddling with your hands.

"I'm sure he does, he's just been busy." Oikawa then lowered his voice. "Why didn't you call him or something? Akaashi told me how you felt."

"Wait—he did?!" You couldn't forget your confession.

"Yeah. If you felt that way, why didn't you call him?"

"I did. Several times," you sighed. "He never picked up."

"He said you didn't call."

"Huh?" you pulled out your phone, showing the calls. "It's right here."

"Oh my god," he shook his head. "That's his old number. Didn't I give the slip of paper to you? Unless I—oh crap! I forgot it that day!" he scratched his head.

The two of you caught up for an hour or so before heading upstairs in the elevator.

"Oikawa?" you asked as the elevator doors closed.

"Hmm?"

"Do you think he would've picked up...if I had the right number?"

"In a heartbeat."

Your heart sank knowing how different things might have been.

"And if I talked to him now?"

"That I don't know," he gestured to your necklace. "You're still wearing that. Why don't you find out yourself?" he pressed the button to the 95th floor.

"Why there?" you asked, confused. The top floor of the building was reserved for executives.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. Kuroo's moved up quite a bit since you left. He's an executive now," he tossed you a card labeled visitor. You couldn't enter the floor without it.

You knew Kuroo had connections around the firm, but you didn't expect him to be as high up as executive by the time you were back.

"I already have one of these?" you eyed the card, filled with your information.

"You're the first person he got one for," he got off the elevator. "It should have been me but whatever."

You wanted to say something but couldn't think of anything. Something was off; it seemed like Kuroo had moved on, so why was he still thinking of you?

You got off the elevator on the top floor, scanning your visitor badge. The high end decor and empty halls had a different feel.

You remembered Kuroo telling you that even though he could work up here, he'd never do it because of how stuffy and boring it felt.

It somehow made you sad to see him here, like he'd lost a part of himself.

You found his office at the end of the hall and stood in front of the door, trying to muster the courage to knock. You were about to tap your hand on the door when it opened and a girl walked out, fixing her hair.

"Oh, Tetsurou's free if you want to see him," she smiled in a hurry to leave. You noticed she looked a lot like you, down to the way she smiled. You could tell her smile was sincere, but it didn't matter, your mind had already gone to the worst possible place.

"Stop waiting outside like an idiot Y/N!" Kuroo called from inside.

You nervously bit your lip and walked in. He threw you a Diet Coke and you barely caught it with your shaking hands.

You opened your mouth to say something but he interrupted.

"Yeah, yeah I know what you're gonna say. 'It'll fizz up if you throw it.' I'll open it if you want."

You felt at ease the way he remembered how the two of you used to bicker and walked over to him as he stood looking outside.

All that could be heard was the wind pushing on the tall floor-to-ceiling windows as you handed him the can and stood beside him. "You look better," he muttered, still looking outside.

"You're saying I looked worse before?"

"No. I mean you look happier," he turned and placed his thumb below your chin, tilting it up.

"I'm sorry for how things ended. I messed up real bad. I'm glad you found happiness somewhere else. You deserve much better."

What hurt most was that you could tell his words were genuine.

"Forget about that. I thought I remember you saying you'd never wanna work here," you faked a laugh, trying to change the direction of the conversation. "But look at you now."

"I thought I'd go for a change of pace, kinda like you did. Helps me move on." Your breath hitched and you pulled your hand closer to you.

He really did move on.

"Doesn't it get boring here?" you asked.

You were heartbroken by him moving on but still couldn't figure out why he'd take a position he hated so much.

"It got boring downstairs without you anyway," he shrugged. "I'm glad you're back. I lost one of my best friends," he inched his hand towards you, fingers brushing against yours.

Friends? What was two years with him for then?

"It just doesn't seem like the you I knew before," you whispered.

"I didn't change that much. Only reason I took this position was so I could change things from the inside."

You remembered how he wished for the whole company to be less cutthroat—like the way he and Oikawa ran their own floor.

"Oh, that makes sense."

This position had always been there for him, but he only took it once you left. Were you holding him back?

The two of you stood in silence, enjoying each other's presence for the time being. The six months away seemed to mend some of what was broken between you two.

"Since you've moved on, who was she?" you asked about the girl you'd seen moments ago, breaking the silence. You braced for an answer.

"Oh, she's my new—" Kuroo was interrupted by a phone call. "Sorry," he took the call, placing his finger up and mouthing one minute. "My bad, Y/N. I have a last minute meeting," he grabbed some papers and ran to the door. "I'll meet you in the lobby at 7," he turned around to look at you.

"Why?"

"Let's go watch a volleyball game. Like the old times," he waved and closed the door, leaving you alone in his office.

You didn't want to be overly nosy but couldn't help but notice a photo frame face down where he kept all the others standing.

You carefully turned it around and saw the picture of you two on the night of your first date, the same one you'd hid in your old cubicle. You quickly placed it the way it was and walked out of Kuroo's office, feeling more conflicted than when you arrived.

Why did he cling on to parts of you if he said he'd moved on?