Chapter 18

"Good morning lovebirds!" Oikawa walked in with breakfast early the next day.

"Shh!" Kuroo hissed, raising his head. "Let her sleep."

"The food's gonna get cold," he continued, ignoring Kuroo. "Y/N must be hungry."

"I totally am," you groaned, rubbing your eyes. Kuroo turned to look at you, surprised he didn't notice you'd woken up.

"Look what you did! You woke her up!"

"For good reason. Give me that," you grabbed the bag from Oikawa. You were opening the bag as the two of them bickered when you suddenly felt sick. You unhooked your IV and ran to the bathroom.

Was it your medication? The chill of the room?

Or was it remembering how you lied to Kuroo about what happened yesterday?

He deserved the truth so badly, but you knew if anyone found out about your situation you'd be in immediate danger.

"Crap. I'll go check on her," Kuroo followed you. He saw you knelt over the bathroom sink and pulled your hair back. "Shh, it's okay," he whispered. You stayed like that trying to figure out what was wrong. After a while you fell on your knees and into Kuroo's arms. "Let's get you some water," he rubbed your back, picking you up and taking you back to your bed.

"I-is she okay?" Oikawa asked. "I went and got Anaka." She came running in with water and touched your forehead.

"She's passed out," Anaka sighed, turning to Kuroo. "When did she start feeling sick?"

"Right when she woke up. Maybe 15 minutes ago?"

Oikawa gasped. "Is it morning sickness? Did you get her pregnant?!" he put a hand over his mouth. Kuroo's breath hitched and Anaka punched Oikawa's shoulder.

"You idiot! It's a side effect of the drugs," she shook her head, grabbing the bag of food off the table. "The side effects are made worse by this." She put the bag in Oikawa's face. "I'm pretty sure I said no food for 24 hours."

"It's close enough to that anyways," he argued. "Plus she didn't even eat it before feeling sick. Right, Kuroo?" The two of them turned to look at Kuroo who was staring at the ground. "Kuroo?"

"Oh, um. Yeah. She didn't eat anything," he said, distracted.

"She could be sensitive to the smell. It's most likely side effects though. I'll tell the doctor about it just in case," she said, walking out.

"Sorry, Y/N." Oikawa sighed, talking to you knowing you couldn't hear him. "I thought it'd be fine." He turned to Kuroo. "What's up with you? You thought you actually got her pregnant or what?"

"Not possible," he muttered. "We haven't had sex yet."

"No way," Oikawa shook his head. "You've been hitting on her for weeks and you guys haven't yet? You're being awfully patient this time, it's not like you," Oikawa teased. Kuroo reached over the bed and grabbed Oikawa's collar.

"You might be an ass but I'm not," he said angrily. "Girls aren't just there to be sleep with."

"Oh please. Don't act like you weren't just like me months ago!"

"You know what, maybe I was. But I'm not now. When the time comes, it'll come. It doesn't make me enjoy what I have now with Y/N any less."

"B—"

"And don't act like you don't understand what I'm saying. You've felt the same way towards someone before. You can't expect to find a girl that makes you happy again when you act like like this. People change. I've changed, you should too," Kuroo ended Oikawa with a final blow.

Kuroo'd really been on edge today, especially after finding out what really happened from the government.

Oikawa slowly walked out of the room. What he didn't know was that you'd woken up halfway through their argument.

"You enjoy what you have with me?" you laughed quietly, mocking his cheesy tone from earlier. He turned to look at you and tilted his head down.

"Y-you heard that?"

"Enough of it," you got up and rubbed your thumb on his cheek.

"Y/N, I'm sor—"

"What's there to be sorry about? As long as you keep your promise that you've changed." You kissed his forehead. "Oikawa mouths off a little too much but I really hope he can find someone again," you laid back down.

"You're not hurt by what he said?"

"Why would I be?" you sighed. "I just feel bad for him. Speaking of him, what happened to our bet?"

"Bet?" he looked confused. "Oh yeah. Let's ask Anaka the next time she's here."

"Let's do it," you smiled through the pain you were feeling. You didn't feel any better than before. In fact, you felt even worse as the drugs wore off, but with Kuroo all those things seemed trivial.

You thought about how he'd stayed by your side all this time. Yeah, he messed up a little here and there but so did you. No one had ever stayed by your side through so much before.

"Kuroo?" you asked quietly, laying back down as you started feeling sick again. "How will I ever thank you? For everything."

"You're all I need, Y/N. We're gonna go home in a bit and everything will be okay," he muttered as you fell asleep. "I love you."