Chapter Two - Hard to breathe

"Ngh!"

Your body jolted awake, heavy pants leaving your lungs as you looked around the room panicked. It took you no more than a few seconds to recognise the delicate sheets under your fingertips and the overall messy area nearby. Yeah, that was definitely your room...

Grasping some more about what was going on, you worked on calming down your breath. It seemed like you just woke up from a nightmare, yet another time this week. The unsettling image from the dream was still flickering every few seconds in your mind. Especially if you tried to close your eyes. "That... was just a bad dream. Everything is okay now..."

Carefully, you tried laying down again. You had no idea what the time was, but judging by the light peaking through the curtains, you could guess the sun was starting to set. Just like every day, your room would still be shaded until you'd decide to let some daylight in. And enjoying your eyes not being blinded for at least some more time, you took a glance around. I should probably take care of that pile of clothes over there... and sort out these papers on the floor...

After a moment, you decided to roll on the other side and try to get more sleep. It was still very early, and you had maybe slept for an hour or two. But the thought of being allowed to oversleep if you'll have to was comforting. Hope's Peak Acadamy really should've thought twice before allowing students to skip classes...

Closing your eyes and dragging the blanket up to the nose, you were about to readjust your position when suddenly–

"Ouch..!" A pitiful hiss escaped your throat, which itself surprisingly brought you even more pain in the neck area. "The hell..?"

You carefully rose from your pillow and lazily travelled to your neck with the tips of your fingers. Right under the touch, pain not letting you breathe arose. Your eyes widened with confusion as you stared at your own hand. Why... Why does it suddenly hurt so much?

Again, you tried touching the skin of your neck, this time in another area, and had to instantly pull away. A dull pain spread through your skin, making you let out another quiet swear. You tried another few times, and it always ended the same. Sometimes it began to hurt even more.

Jeez, did I sleep in an awkward position or something..? But it's so bad... I don't even think there was anything that felt worse than this...

Eventually, you just got up from the bed, careful to not move your neck too suddenly and headed to the bathroom. With still wobbly legs, you opened the glassy door and flicked the light switch. Ignoring the overwhelming brightness, you instantly reached for the sink and leaned against it for help. Once your eyes got somewhat adjusted, you tilted your head and tried to examine your neck. Pulling away the collar of your pyjama, that itself brought you some pain.

"H-How-"

A mix of dark colours like purple, red and blue were all painted around your neck. Bruises were creating a big mark after something that looked like a grip. Your numb legs almost lost feeling at that moment, yet the sight of something that horrid was keeping you awake.

Is this some kind of a sick joke? You asked in on mind, countless times. You followed your fingers down the skin, instantly leaving out the thought of it being makeup anyhow. Not that you knew anyone who'd be bored enough to do this.

W-Why in the the fuck do I have this?! It looks as if someone tried to kill me but... but nothing like that happened! Everything was fine when I went to sleep, so what the hell is this..?

You panicked in front of the mirror with every new bruise you'd see next. Your mind was running places, and your heart was beating so fast...

N-No, I have to stay calm and try to focus... Is there a chance someone snuck into my room, and... did this? Locks at Hope's Peak are basically unsolvable, so that wouldn't work... Only someone with some Locksmithing talent could even have a chance against them. And I don't remember getting onto the nerves of anyone like that. I didn't go on anyone's nerves at all! All I do is sit in my dorm and gamble with Ludenberg-san from time to time.