Chapter 4: Late Birthday Present

Aspen POV:

I listened carefully out my window until I heard the castle door slam shut and the thundering hooves of my father's white stallions fade away. I looked across the Kingdom, in the distance I saw a herd of Dragons soaring in. I sighed longingly. Stupid father, I droned for about the billionth time today alone. He wouldn't let me have a Dragon until I was sixteen, but yesterday there was no creature waiting for me in my present pile; only dresses I would never wear and jewelry I would never put on. I fingered with the only piece of jewelry I liked, a twine necklace Cade made me. All clear, my mind alerted me as his carriage disappeared out of sight.

I dashed into my closet and grabbed a pair of brown slacks and a black top. I quickly ripped off one of the stupid dresses my mother made me wear and the corset underneath. I quickly replaced the itchy silk with comfy cotton. I slid on some leather shoes I made myself and grabbed my brown cloak. I stopped in front of the mirror to examine myself.

My long hair fell down to my waist. My straight chocolaty hair was one of the only things about me my mother approved of. My blue-gray eyes examined my rosy lips and my clear complexion. I wished guys didn't call me pretty; I don't even see what they are talking about. It would be easier to hang out with them if they weren't focused on my looks. I donned my cloak and ran towards the window. Just before I rammed into the wall, I jumped through the opening and grabbed the conveniently placed branch.

I scurried down the tree and hurdled the hedge wall meant to keep me inside. I double checked my surroundings before diving into the massive crowd of people hurrying down the street. I passed through the fruit market, sneaking a strawberry as I passed. I giggled in delight at my stealthiness and enjoyed my prize as I ran though the stinky fish market. I held my breath so I wouldn't have to whiff the disgusting odor of seafood. After passing the fabric market, animal market, and about twenty more markets, I finally entered the residential area of the city.

I ran down the street, passing many thatch roofed houses. I began searching for it. There, my mind pointed out. The one house with it's own garden signaled me that I had arrived. I slowed to a stop in front of the humble abode and knocked four times quickly on the door. It swung open and there he stood.

Cade.

His wavy blonde hair atop his head shook in the breeze. His deep ocean-blue eyes pierced into my very soul. He grinned that grin of his; his teeth, a dazzling white, sparkled in the sun. His mouth suddenly dropped.

"Look," he shouted pointing up into the sky. "Let's count the types!"

One two three... One two three four... One two... One two three four five... One... One... One... I stopped counting mentally as the last Dragon passed. "How many did you get?" I challenged confidently.

He smiled playfully. "Three Fire, Four Water, Two Air, Five Earth, One Storm, One Nature, and One Space."

"Correct," I nodded in approval. "Let's go inside!" He allowed me in first and then closed the door behind us. The pitter patter of feet warned me to brace myself. Two little boys came thundering around the corner.

"Aspen!" they shouted excitedly. They tackled me to the ground and my tiara thudded onto the floor.

Shoot, I reprimanded myself. I forgot to take it off. I glanced at the shiny headdress. It was studded with sapphires. I quickly grabbed it and hid it in my bag. I wriggled myself out from underneath the toddlers and followed Cade into his backyard.

"Sorry about Jason and Alex," he apologized.

"No problem!" I protested. "I love your adorable twin brothers. They look just like you, only they are much more adventurous!"

"Hey!" He complained as we stepped outside. Giggling, I removed my cloak and smoothed back my hair as he crossed the yard to his reading spot under the massive oak tree I adored. "Look," he beamed as he lifted a scroll. I crossed over to him and sat down. Carefully taking the scroll, I rolled it open enough to read the title.

"A Scholar's Guide to Dragons and Other Magical Creatures"

"How in Octinia did you get a hold of a copy?" I gasped. "They only wrote twelve!"

"I traded off some other scrolls I had accumulated over the years," he shrugged. "Plus the salesman didn't know it's true value," he admitted.

"You little conman," I teased. He chuckled softly. I offered it to him, but he shoved it back at me.

"Happy 16th Birthday," he said.

"This is for me?" I asked in surprise. "But, you..."

"I've already read it, and I got it especially for you," he confided.

"Thank you," I blushed. I tackled him into a big hug, then raised an eyebrow. "Race to the top?" I challenged.

"You bet!" He smirked. We took off, scurrying up the trunk like squirrels. After I won, we spent the rest of the morning at the top of the tree reading the scroll out loud in turn and discussing the Dragon types. As the sun reached its highest point, I rose. "I have to go," I stated.

"Come back soon," he begged.

"I will," I assured him as we made our way through his house and to the front door. He stood there in the doorway as I took off down the street. I turned and waved and he waved back. I quickly covered myself with the cloak again as I raced back to the castle. I climbed up the tree outside my tower window gracefully and hopped back into my room. I took off my cloak and laid the scroll on my shelf. I thought I had made it in the clear until I heard it. Tap tap tap. I sighed. "Greetings, mother," I addressed her with respect as I turned. She wore a gown that fluffed out at the bottom. It was pink laced with sliver. Her stone cold gray eyes gave me that look of hers. Her golden tiara resembled my silver one. Her slightly graying hair hung down to her shoulders. Her face wrinkled with disgust at my outfit; she lost her top.

"Do you have any idea how worried I've been?" she squealed frantically. "No note, open window... Why, I thought someone had kidnapped you!"

"Mom," I tried to calm her down. "I just went to visit..."

"Cade?" she sighed in exasperation. "That low life peasant you insist on seeing?"

"He is not a low life or a peasant!" I retorted angrily. "He is middle class! His father is a blacksmith and his mother is a seamstress!"

"I don't care!" She yelled. "You are not supposed to leave the palace unguarded!"

"But Mom," I protested. "I have my daggers!"

"Which you shouldn't even have!" she retorted. "A princess should not have weapons! One day you will replace me as Queen; you don't need to be able to fight! Just wait until your father finds out you snuck off again!" She finished with a big snort of disgust and slammed my door shut. THUD!

"UGH!" I shouted. "It isn't fair! I can't spend my life cooped up like a bird in my tower!" I flung myself onto my bed and screamed into my pillow. Just then, I heard something.

"Dear Aspen," my father called. "Come to the back lawn!"

What could it possibly be? I put on a casual, purple cotton dress and hurried down the marble winding staircase barefoot. I cut through the kitchen and nabbed a piece of cheese.

"Aspen!" The head chef shouted. I giggled at his anger and fled to the hall. I slid down the banisters of the grand staircases in the grand entryway and turned sharply. I raced down the hall and out the back doors. I skidded to a stop and dropped my jaw in awe at the magnificent creature before me. Staring back was the best birthday present ever: a Dragon.