Chapter 20: An Unexpected Vacation

Cade POV:

"Viys, your partner's Teff is your Dragon for the day!" Iris announced. A chill went down my spine as she turned back to me. "Have fun with Shade!" She beamed as she skipped off to greet Orion. As she went, she explained how important connecting with other Teffs is, but it all went in one ear and out the other. I was too busy worrying about riding Shade. Judging by Orion's memories, they weren't exactly on a friendly basis. This could mean trouble for me. Iris finished her speech by telling us to get to know our temporary Teff.

"Hello, Cade," Shade greeted me. I jumped a little, but quickly slowed my heart rate enough to turn and act calm.

"Hey, Shade," I responded. "How are you?"

"Fine," he answered. "And you?"

"Excellent!" I falsely enthused.

"Does that have anything to do with you and Aspen?" He wondered.

"What?" I acted like I had no idea what he was suggesting.

"Aspen told Iris, so, naturally, I know!" He explained.

"Oh," I realized. Then, we began to practice the maneuvers. Once we finished with the fake out, Shade took me aside for a moment.

"I have a question for you... Are Serafina and Orion in love?"

"Um," I stuttered. "I don't feel like I am the right person to tell you that!"

"Well," he said, "I will find out, so we can do this the easy way or the hard way!"

"The hard way?" I squeaked. He nodded and made a lightning bolt.

"My methods are shockingly quite persuasive," he informed me.

"So," I confirmed. "If I tell you, you won't use that!"

"Someone's catching on!" Shade smirked.

"Fine, they are" I squealed.

"I thought so," he agreed. "Okay, then I guess this my time to get back at that fire breathing loser!"

"Excuse me," I asserted. "Orion is not a loser and Serafina is in love with him. I'm sorry that she's not in love with you, but getting back at Orion won't help!"

"It may not make Serafina fall in love with me, but it will make me feel better!" Shade assured me. "Now what to do with his Viy?" With that I drew my sword.

"You won't do anything to me!" I countered, as convincingly as I could muster.
He chuckled, clearly amused. With a flick of his wrist a giant gust of wind knocked me on my back and my sword clanged to the side. He roared with laughter.

"Humans can be so weak; it's hilarious!"

"You sound like Inferno!" I told him. He growled then came over and lifted me onto his back.

"I have an idea! I'll just bring you into Fov and see how freaked out your Teff gets!" He took off, carrying me on an unexpected vacation. This was bad! Aspen was going to be furious!