Chapter 34: Consolation

Serafina POV:

Still in awe of Aspen's grand epiphany, I dove down to the mini volcano range. There Maya was laying on top of our best friend and her Viy, sobbing. At first, I was stunned. Lazaro is dead! My mind raced. Poor Cade... But then, I realized, I had to comfort Maya. Iris and Shade sat behind her, patting her shoulders or stroking her neck, attempting to console her. I knew nothing could heal that sadness except for their memory. I fluttered down beside them. Shade gave me a fleeting glance that read help me. I sighed and trudged over to them.

"Maya," I called softly. She raised her tear streaked face. Her eyes were swollen and red from all the crying. I took her paw and raised her to a sitting position. As soon as she was upright, she lunged at me and trapped me in her arms.

"Why them?" She sobbed. She squeezed me so tightly, I could hardly breathe, none the less speak, but I attempted to answer.

"God called his angels home," I answered honestly. "It was their time!" Her sobs got even louder.

"I know that," she spat. "But why not me? Why not any of the other survivors?"

"God has a plan," I reminded her. "We have to follow it and know that it was for a reason. I am almost positive the reason for them to pass was motivation."

"Motivation?" Her voice cracked as she repeated my guess. I nodded,

"Look at Aspen," I pointed at the figure facing Inferno. "Would Gwen and Lazaro want you to stand by and watch her demise if there was something you could do to help?"

"No!" She signed.

"Right," I encouraged as I took her shoulders and pulled her off of me. Her purple eyes were still watery with tears, but she no longer wept. Wiping the drops off her face with my claw, I continued, "Inferno is the one who ultimately caused their deaths." I reminded her.

"But some yellow Phoenixes killed Gwen and..." I cut her off,

"But who commands those Phoenixes?"

"Inferno," she growled under her breath.

"That's right!" I answered. "Aspen has a plan and she needs your help!"

"My help?" She wondered. "How could I possibly help? I couldn't even save my own Viy!" I leaned in close and whispered the plan to her. Her eyes dried and lit up.

"Understand?" I questioned. She nodded.

"But how will we get him in it if I am making it?" She pointed out the one flaw in the otherwise impenetrable plan.

"I've got that covered!" I assured her.

"But, how will you do it?" She pressed.

"You'll see!" I winked. Iris and Shade had been bystanders until this point when Shade asked,

"What's going on?"

"Aspen's got a plan to beat Inferno!" Maya enthused, actually happy.

"Count us in!" Iris informed. Maya turned to me.

"Can they help?" She pondered.

"Yes," I nodded.

"How?" She interrogated. "They can't..." I interrupted her once more, turning towards the generals I ordered,

"We need you all to keep any Phoenixes rushing to his aid back! Can you manage?"

"Of course!" Shade beamed. "We'll gather some reinforcements and meet you up there in a few minutes!" With that they took off, heading over the volcano range. Just before we took off, Axel landed before us. I lunged for his throat, knocking his helmet off. Maya crossed to my side, prepared to go for the kill, but abruptly stopped. She was staring at his helmet. In the bright glow of the volcanos, I could clearly see the leaf insignia. I jumped off him and stood, pulling him up with me.

"You're on our side?" I gawked.

"Yes," he confessed. "I have been conveying my father's plans to lower Phoenixes who sent the messages to you. I watched over you all as you crossed the mini range and watched over you the days before the battle." He lowered his gaze to the fallen soldiers. "I am sorry for your loss; I know Lazaro was your Viy, Maya, and Gwen was both of yours best friend!" We both nodded gravely.

"Sorry for attacking you!" I apologized.

"No problem," he forgave me. "I would attack me if I was you. Regardless, it has happened on several occasions. One was your friend, Orion. Who is, by the way, helping your Viy stall my father." Our eyes drifted to the top of Inferno's Fall where Orion and Cade were tussling with Inferno.

"Thank you," I expressed my gratitude as we took off to finish this thing once and for all.