Chapter 33: End Scene

Cade POV:

"If it isn't Aspen's little passenger?" Axel remarked snidely as we got to his level. His golden feathers glistened in the sun's rays as my eyes narrowed. "You're a Viy now? Guess the selection process is not what it used to be if they let a fainter into the army." He glanced warily over his shoulder and I traced his line of sight to Aspen and Inferno who were all out battling. He seemed to be checking to see if his father was watching.

"I think," Orion inputted, "that Cade is one of the best Viys. In fact, he is the third in command."

"Second to two little, weak girls!" Axel snorted.

"Iris and Aspen are the toughest people I know and are certainly not weak!" I retorted loudly. "Aspen is better than me at everything! Why does it matter if girls can beat me? They are just as good as boys!"

"Funny," the Phoenix prince commented, "that belief is not commonly expressed by mortals!" His eyes kelt flickering back to his father and my lady. I was becoming concerned he was planning on going to help his king.

"I am not most mortals!" I reminded him. Nodding, Axel replied,

"But are you really that different?" He wondered aloud. "Is she?" He gestured at Aspen on Serafina. "Is she?" He gestured at Iris atop Shade. "You are a mere mortal; nothing separates you from the refugees scurrying from Tura set ablaze. I could squeeze and then pop you like a grape. I almost did just that to Aspen if she wouldn't have plunged her dagger into my leg."

"You did what to Aspen?" I asked, eyes wide. He ignored my concern and continued,

"Iris was stupid enough to think that lava could kill a Phoenix born from ashes! For heaven's sake, why did the Queen Dragon choose you all?"

"We have all made our mistakes," Orion confessed. "Sometimes, we are not the brightest. We aren't invincible! We are imperfect, broken individuals. Cade was a poor civilian. Aspen was a trapped, angry, miserable, princess. Iris was just a little girl when she entered this army! I am hot headed and stupid sometimes! Shade is a tad arrogant and can't control his temper at all! Serafina is a little naive at times and can be a little too uptight. We all know our weaknesses, but our Viy or Teff completes us. We make up for each other's imperfections! We aren't perfect and we certainly don't deserve to be Viys and Teffs, but Beliu needs us. When we are chosen, our weaknesses are taken into account, but we are picked because our strengths outweigh our weaknesses!" I nodded in agreement and awe at his wisdom. Axel nodded as well.

"You think your strengths are greater than your weaknesses, do you?" He wondered. "Then, pray tell, why have we killed some of you? Why couldn't you save your dead friend? The dark haired, tan boy? The tiny, gray Dragon beside him?"

"Lazaro was a compassionate, kind, funny, trustworthy, and courageous friend!" I defended my brother. "He was the best friend I could have asked for and barely had any weaknesses. He was a great fighter, but was overpowered. His true great qualities laid within, which couldn't save him from a fireball or a fall!"

"Gwen was the sweetest, most genuinely kind, and wisest Dragon I think I have ever met." Orion retorted. "She had this quality of shyness, but once you got to know her she became an amazing friend. She was as brave and true as they come. She was so smart, but not very strong. Unfortunately, her immense inner strengths could not save her today. She fought valiantly, but lost. She was marvelous, and one loss does not outweigh several victories!"

"And you!" I began to attack Axel. "You are wrong! Octinia will never stand for this injustice! Your father is an idiot to think otherwise. We may die, but they will rise! Plus, you will not ever know love! I know love! Orion knows love! We all have someone we love! You and Inferno never will! So, I hope you're happy with all of Octinia, because you will never have any attachment or relations!"

That actually hit him harder that I thought it would. He seemed like a rock that could not be shaken or penetrated, but he actually stumbled back a little. His eyes watered a little as he blinked rapidly. Orion and I were both dumbfounded. He had feelings?

"I must have made you pretty mad," he stammered. "For you to say that... Huh?" I nodded gravely. He chuckled, then replied,

"I am sorry, then, for my harsh words." His eyes kept moving back and forth between us and the main attraction, Aspen and Inferno's fight. Our feelings only read confusion. He shook with laughter now.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"I really had you going there!" Axel declared, still chuckling. He closed his wing and brought it down in front of his face "End scene!" We remained confused, and, apparently, that was obvious because he began to explain further. "I am on your side! I was only acting like that because I though my father might be watching, but I can see he's too focused on your friend to do anything!"

"I don't believe you!" Orion screamed as he lunged at Axel. He put his paws around the birds neck and began to choke him. Axel was pointing up, at his head. I glanced up and my jaw dropped.

"Orion!" I yelled. "Stop!" I lifted his head with my hands, so he could see the leaf engraving on Axel's helmet too. His mouth was ajar as he released Axel's throat.

"Surprise!" Axel coughed. "I'm quite the actor, I've been told, much like the little boy Eli! That show he did last night was splendid!"

"You were watching?" I interrogated angrily. He nodded eagerly,

"I was making sure no one came over here so you guys wouldn't be caught. Please forgive me for being so rude in my comments, I promise I did not mean anything I said." I waved my hand at him.

"No worries," I reassured him, calming down. "Thank you for helping us!"

"Well, it appears Aspen needs some help," he observed. "She has sent Serafina off and is alone with my father." We both turned to see Aspen standing on the edge of the volcano, facing Inferno solo.

"Nice to know you're with us," I stated, "but we really must go!" With that, Orion and I raced off to go to her aid.