Chapter 12: Story Time

Aspen POV:

Of course, we won. Cade claimed we needed to have a rematch after the playing field was more even. Basically, he was saying we were way too good for them. Serafina insisted I didn't brag, so I got around that by smirking. Cade just chuckled at me whenever I did, so it wasn't very effective and I stopped two days later. Over the next couple days, I taught Cade the best way to keep his balance on Orion. Also, I helped him fasten a bridle to Orion so he could control movement if necessary.

After that, I spent some time with Iris. She told me about her lovely family in Northern Del. She had a older brother named Briar and a younger brother named Sage. She also had twin younger sisters. She loved talking about Lily and Ivy. Apparently, their hair was a beautiful strawberry blonde that glistened in the sunlight. Her parents and grandparents were loving and responsible. She got letters from all her family members monthly.

We talked a little about Cade, but mostly practiced our swordsmanship and archery. She told me she didn't expect to fall in love with anyone, unless he could put up with the fact she wouldn't be all lovey dovey. I laughed at this; thank goodness Cade already excepted that. She also told me she really loved bright green eyes. I told her about my past too, and I finally found someone who could understand my loathing of the royal life. We really bonded over that week. Starting out with a professional relationship, we grew into friendship. It was nice to have a girl friend who wasn't always worrying about her hair.

Everyday, new Teffs and Viys arrived. Exactly a week from the day Shade shot lightening up into the sky, the last pair arrived from the Southernmost point of Sci. Serafina, Orion, Cade, and I were relaxing in an empty Ure when Iris, with her golden locks now in a braid, approached us.

"Hey guys," she called as she drew closer. "You ready for training?" Cade and I looked at each other in confusion.

"Training?" We pondered.

"Yeah," Iris restated. "Viy and Teff training! You all need to learn crucial maneuvers and how to confront an enemy as dangerous as Inferno!" Serafina and Orion nodded. We followed her to a previously deserted Ure deep in the thick woods of Beliu. Gathered there were Dragons of all kinds. If my count served me correctly, there were one hundred Dragons there, including Serafina, Shade, and Orion and the same amount of Viys. Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Space, Storm, and Nature Dragons were all present. The meadow was like a rainbow. Iris gave Shade a thumbs up and he snapped.

BOOM!

Thunder rolled and caught the attention of all the Dragons in the meadow. Everyone turned to Shade and Iris standing in the center of the green space.

"Many of you were not present ten years ago when we defeated Inferno and his army the first time," Iris began. "Therefore, it is necessary that we retell what occurred. There is no other way to describe it then genocide."

"Dis used to not exist." Shade informed us, Serafina nodded. They must have only began speaking to the Viys since Dragons are born with all current knowledge. "Ten years ago, it was much like Fov and Beliu, a beautiful, enchanted forest. This region was split into two areas. In the western part of the forest, Ref, resided the Unicorns. The Eastern part, Tilo, was inhabited by the Pegasi . They were peaceful and lived in harmony. Accidentally, the prince of the Pegasi, Arturo, and princess of the Unicorns, Sylvia, met, fell in love, and married."

"When they took their places as king and queen, they united Ref and Tilo to form Relo," Iris continued. "Arturo and Sylvia did something never done before, they had a baby. Their species were so alike, that they could have a viable child. Their child was the first Pegacorn. The baby girl, Serenity, was the most magical creature ever created. She possessed the ability to do anything she wanted, except bring the dead back to life."

"However," Shade interjected, "that much good cannot be in existence without an equal amount of evil. When she was born, the Phoenixes were first spotted over the Sci mountains. They were headed towards Relo."

"Arturo flew as fast as his wings could carry him here, carrying Serenity with him." Iris explained. "He gave his treasure to the Dragon Keeper to watch and sought out our help, with that he returned to Relo. I was only six at the time, the youngest Viy ever, but Shade and I joined the army regardless, they needed all the help they could get. A few days later we journeyed to Relo, but did not find the beautiful forest. Instead we found a volcano infested, barren wasteland. Covered in ash, we found the bodies of the Unicorns and Pegasi."

"There were no survivors there," Shade relayed. "However, we never found the bodies or bones of Arturo and Sylvia. Whether or not they live today is unknown, however they would have probably come to Beliu to retrieve their child if they were still alive. We confronted these fiends and began to fight. They were no match for us."

"We defeated them in less than an hour by sending their King, Inferno, spiraling into a volcano." Iris continued. "Shade and I made that striking blow. They surrendered and swore to never leave that land again. Since then, it has been know as Dis, which is Drina for despair. We lost our best allies and have since sworn to protect the rest of Octinia."

"When we returned," Shade conveyed. "Iris and I were appointed general of the Teffs and Viys, as the old ones had died in battle. The Dragon Keeper hid Serenity away from the rest of the world to protect her from evil until her parents returned. They never did and no one knows the location of her besides the Dragon Keeper and Zane."

"We thought Inferno was gone forever," Iris admitted. "That we had won. That we were in the clear. We could have never been so wrong. We overlooked the fact that a Phoenix could not be felled by fire or lava, and so he rose again. He recovered and struck Tura a week ago. He burned the city to the ground, wiping out the majority of the population."

"King Jace and Queen Samara escaped, along with around one thousand humans, to Del." Iris assured the concerned Viys and Teffs. I sighed in relief. I had not known if my parents made it out alive or not. I could feel Serafina's relief as well. "They arrived yesterday, making it across Mik with a Water Dragon we sent who helped them to cross." Iris continued. "She arrived today delivering this good news. We suspect the Phoenixes will attack here next. They have returned to Dis, according to our spy. They plan to stay there for a month, regroup, and concentrate their forces before they strike. We will cut them off two days before they leave."

"That means we have four weeks and and a day; this next week will be dedicated to training you all to be ready to face these dangerous foes." Shade instructed. "Viys you shall follow Iris to the next meadow over. Teffs, you shall stay with me. Halfway through the week, we will join and train together. But for now, Viys go with Iris." The other Viys, Cade, and I followed Iris out of this abandoned Ure. I gave one last fleeting glance back at Serafina; she gave me a reassuring smile.

You're going to do great, she told me.

Thanks, I thought. You will too. With that I set in stride next to Cade as we made our way through the forest. Iris led us into another meadow where she instructed us to stand in a straight line. At that moment, she seemed so intimidating. That infectious smile of hears was replaced by a straight face. I would have given anything to be with Serafina then. Cade must have read my facial expression, because he grasped my hand and whispered,

"You have nothing to worry about!" I blushed and smiled at him. He returned the favor and released my sweaty hand. I turned to Iris and mentally prepared myself to follow orders.