Chapter 37: Bittersweet Victory

Serafina POV:

I plunged myself into the bowl and dove to grab Aspen's suddenly still body. I wrapped my paw around her arm and yanked her to the surface with me. Clamoring over the top of the bowl, I slid to the ground. I laid her flat on her back and put my ear to her chest. For a moment, there was not any pounding. I almost broke down. But then I heard a small thumping from inside. I sighed in relief then began to pump on her chest and expel the water from her lungs. After several minutes, the last few drops were forced out. She did not wake; she was still unconscious from the lack of Oxygen, but her heartbeat had strengthened tenfold. She was okay.

Axel fluttered gently over to us and gazed down into the little tank. I got his message and tugged on my little rope. After a couple minutes and some help from the Water Dragons, we pulled Inferno from the bowl. His eyes were closed and his wings were heavy with moisture. His feathers were completely soaked and he looked like a drowned rat. Well... He was a drowned bird. Same difference, right? I recalled one of Aspen's last waking moments.

I'm sorry, Aspen and Axel! God, forgive me of my sins! Take me to you! Inferno repented just before he passed on. He saw the light and sought forgiveness of his crimes. Axel knelt beside Inferno. Although I knew Axel was against him, it still must have been very painful to sit in front of his dead father. I put my hand on his non-flaming shoulder and patted him several times. I stood and declared,

"Inferno was not entirely evil!" My outrageous statement causes and uproar of yells and cries of opposition. "Silence!" I screeched. "His last words were 'I'm sorry, Aspen and Axel! God, forgive me of my sins! Take me to you!' He realized that he was wrong and repented." Everyone grew silent in awe. "Don't you see? He was just mislead, realizing his mistakes he sought forgiveness. Seeing the deaths today was scarring and infuriating, I agree, but I forgive him."

"I forgive him!" Axel was the first to speak after a long minute of silence.

"I forgive him!" Shade and Iris agreed simultaneously.

"I forgive him!" Maya grinned.

"I forgive him!" Cade and Orion echoed, having heard my speech.

"I forgive him!" Eli whispered so quietly, I could barely hear. Atop Orion, his face was moist and his eyes were watery. He had clearly found out about Gwen. Yet, he stood tall and repeated himself, louder this time, "I forgive Inferno!" The onlooking crowd all spoke in unison,

"I forgive him!" The Dragons and loyal Phoenixes had all spoken. Inferno was wrong, but we forgave him. The crowd turned to Inferno's followers. "And we forgive you!" The former followers nodded and raised their wings in surrender.

It was finally over.

We had won.

I grasped Aspen in my paw and flew to my friends, who pulled me into a massive hug. The remaining, conscious, seven of us remained in an embrace for several minutes that seemed like forever. We whispered consoling words to Eli and Maya.

When we finally broke apart, I stayed with Orion, who pulled me back into an embrace. He released me and held my shoulders.

"Thank God you're alright!" He praised. "I was so worried! Once the crowd gathered, we couldn't see what was happening! Are you hurt?" After scanning my body and finding no wounds, he furrowed his brow. "What happened?" I told him how we made the bowl, how I could use water, how I lassoed Inferno, how I pulled him in, and how Aspen held him down. I told him his last words and how Aspen tried to save him, but he was already gone. I told him how I pulled her out and how she was alive, just unconscious. Cade sighed in relief.

Shade and Iris came back over to us. Iris pulled Cade into a tight hug and told him,

"I'm so sorry about Lazaro! I know you all were best friends!"

"It's okay! I'm fine" He assured her. "He's in a better place!" After they parted, Shade and Iris came over to me. Iris, tears in her eyes, took my paw and Shade wrapped his arms around me.

"Gwen was awesome!" Shade reminded me. "I know she was your best friend and I'm sorry!"

"Don't be!" I smiled at his attempt. "She's with God now! She is happy!" He released me and Iris squeezed my hand then let go. With that they turned and crossed the the edge of the volcano. Shade shot a lightening bolt into the sky. The surviving Viys and Teffs gathered. After a quick headcount, Iris put her head in her hands and began to weep. We all moved to comfort her, but Shade held his hand up.

"We lost one fifth of our army today," he informed us bluntly. Tears filled his eyes. "Twenty Viys and Twenty Teffs lost their lives in battle today. Only two pairs were separated." He gestured to Eli and Maya who were still embracing, mourning together the loss of their other half. Everyone stood in shock of this fact. One fifth of our army! One fifth! They were gone. Forever. Maya and Eli stopped mourning and crossed over to the group. Viys and Teffs began to seek out their friends; they found some; others were missing. Cries began to ring out, calling names. Yearning filled the air. All of us just wanted someone back desperately.

Suddenly, our victory was void. No one cared Octinia was free; not anymore. Everyone was sobbing over their friends. Not a dry eye was present in our army. Some of Inferno's followers cried because they had inflicted this pain upon us. The loyal Phoenixes sympathized with us and found themselves sobbing along with us. Axel wept for his father. We all were supposed to be joyous; this was supposed to be a celebration of our winning. Instead everyone cried out for their loved one and sobbed because there was no answer. We went and gathered the bodies and began the flight back to Beliu. Everyone was silent. One thought rang through all of our minds.

Did we really win?