(4) Doubtful in Dubai (angst)

This ones a little long lol. I think 2,600+ words. Also it may be choppy as I haven't edited it yet. Requested by Bree15__ Bree11026  If you want me to make any changes, Bree, just comment whatever.
_________________
SUMMARY: During the Events of the need for speed caper, Ivy struggles with doubt in her abillities as a thief and Carmen is there for her
_________________

CARMEN POV

Carmen Sandiego's approach to life was rather simple: Go with the Flow. While she never skewed away from planning tenaciously for her various capers, the thief often found it best to leave things up to chance, to not set a rigid structure in place and confine her. Rigid structure didn't exactly workout with crime school and all.

Most of her victories against VILE were the result of quick thinking on her part and simply knowing her enemy, rather than a crazy 50 step plan that required perfect execution.

Carmen took a similar approach to leadership. She had never quite been in a position where she held authority above others, and she didn't really know how to handle it.

Zack and Ivy were technically her henchmen/lackies, sure, but she she'd much rather be their friend than their boss. For the full two years they'd traversed the world together, Carmen kept to that mentality when the siblings slipped up. She couldn't exactly expect them to be as clean as she was, after all.

But there came a point where competence outweighed backgrounds, where skill was prioritized over situation. Carmen had only begun to realize that when...

Dubai.

They went to the city of the future in order to stop the theft of a new model of a race car—one that would make the ultimate getaway vehicle if it ever got into VILE's hands.

Zack and Ivy, what with their background in racing and mechanics, respectively, were supposed to hot wire it's engine and stealthily drive it off the island.

Key words: Supposed To.

The siblings messed up. Again. And Carmen had simply snapped.

"Do you realize you jeopardized the entire mission?! When are you going to stop behaving like amateurs?" She had demanded, her eyes unforgiving as her lips twitching in anger.

The siblings had obviously sensed her rage as they recoiled immediately, not even bothering to offer an explanation.

A small part of her conscience made it through, and Carmen gave them a chance to explain. "So let's hear what was so 'wicked ridiculous.' What was possibly worth risking your necks AND mine and giving VILE a chance to win?!"

"Go on." She had spit. "I'm listening."

Thinking back, Carmen winced at the venom in here words, at the anger and judgement that seemed to emanate from her at the time. She knew her lashing out was valid and deserved but....had she been too harsh?

Carmen sighed, placing her forehead in her palm and massaging her temples. The mission had been a bust as of now, meaning they'd have to try again tomorrow at the test run. She and the siblings had checked into a hotel for the night. Fueled by anger, she had booked two rooms: one for Zack and Ivy and one for her.

Not only had it been a petty thing to do, it had been a waste of money. And the Latina Hated wasting money that could go to charity.

Zack, being his usual self, had bounced back pretty quickly. While he certainly wasn't over her scolding, it wasn't affecting him to the point where he couldn't sleep.