9. Flying Solo

We were trying to play a game of cards I found inside my backpack. I believe I got them for my twelve birthday (when I was in the middle of my not proud magic phase) and then forgot to take them out. They were plain, ordinary cards, so they could be used, in this case, for a game of 21.

Julie, just as he had stormed off a couple hours ago, stormed in. "We may have a problem," she sighed.

"What's up?" Reggie questioned, not bothering to take his eyes off the coffee table. He may not seem like it, but he's very competitive on card games.

Julie scrambled to the keyboard, playing random chords with her right hand. "Flynn just came to egg my house—"

Alex spun on his drummer's seat as he fidgeted with the strap of his fanny pack. "I'm sorry, she what?"

"Not important right now! I told her to meet me here in thirty minutes. Can I take your offer of singing Flying Solo?" Oh, she was desperate if she returned for our help. I feel bad for her.

Luke fixed his bad posture. Eyeing him oddly, I agreed. "Of course, Jules."

"Yeah, you won't regret it." This is probably the biggest I've ever seen him smile.

"And... I won!" Reggie threw the cards in the air and they rained like confetti. After seeing our 'really?' faces, he cleared his throat. "Yeah, let's get back to playing."

Planning how to sing the song was not that hard. Since Luke, Reggie, and I had pretty much memorized the lyrics and created the melodies, it was only a matter of teaching Alex and updating Julie. We barely scratched the thirty-minute mark when Flynn came knocking into the studio.

Our friend chuckled as she opened the doors. "Thanks for coming. We just wanted to rehearse the song so it was perfect, which is not, but whatever."

"No, if I'm gonna hear a song from your imaginary ghost band, I want it to be perfect, so, get back in there. All of you. You too." Flynn sassily pointed at random chunks of air.

"They're not out here," Julie said as if it was common knowledge. I can't blame the other girl, she can't see us.

She gently touched Jules' shoulder while entering the seemingly empty room. "Oh, I know."

As I screwed the microphone on its stand, I let out the comment I've been wanting to declare all day. "Can I just say I adore her outfit? Especially the necklace."

Julie brought her palms together. "All right guys, you ready?"

"Um, Julie could you...?" Reg moved his hand in a circle, trying to signal to do something about her friend.

"Uh, actually, can you go over there? Reggie needs some space to rock out, and he feels kinda weird walking through you."

Flynn laughed and wagged her finger. "Boy, when you create a world, you really live in it."

"Just sit." She pushed her by the shoulders into the chair. "If you'll notice, there's no equipment that will produce a hologram. Feel free to look around."

The pink-and-blue girl crossed her arms over her chest. I quirked an eyebrow. All that anger at that age must be tiring to contain in that little body, I thought.

Julie placed herself behind her keyboard. "The guys took a poem that I wrote about you and put it to music."

"Aww, I wish I didn't have to talk to your dad after this," she mockingly retorted.

"I can't wait until she flips out," Reggie whispered into my ear. I giggled until Julie gave me a quick, confused look.

"It's called 'Flying Solo'... Hope you like it." She tapped the rhythm on her advanced beat maker, or whatever those are called. It's like a small, colorful DJ booth.