13. Meeting Fear

Julie let me borrow her makeup. On the way to the dance, she taught me how to do a sharp eyeliner by pretending she conversing in a phonecall. I usually wore bright eyeshadow, and a touch of mascara, but I had been dying to try this makeup trends once I saw how vibrant and different looks had become in the lifespan of 25 years.

We arrived to the gym minutes later. People danced at the beats DJ Flynn created. Some girls were even wearing an animal suit, rocking their Bobcat spirit. "So far, the songs are not bad!" I screamed through the noise.

When I turned to the stage, I saw Flynn behind a turntable wearing a hot pink one-piece. On top of her white hat, glasses with pink heart shapes rested. She left the table by pressing one or two buttons. "How you feeling?" she said while crouching.

"I'm a little nervous," Julie admitted. She was carrying the 'hologram machine' on her right hand.

"You'll be fine. All your gear's backstage, come on." The DJ made a signal, so we went through the stairs on the side. The back of my gel, bobby pin, and hairspray-filled ponytail hit the back of my neck.

I can't believe school dances can look like this! I mean, all these lights, lasers, balloons, and edible appetizers? I volunteered to plan Homecoming and the Winter Ball, but, damn, it doesn't compare. Maybe it was Principal Gallagher's fault; there were rumors that she hoarded all of the school's funds to pay for her cats.

"Oh my gosh you look amazing!" Flynn responded once we reached her.

Although I knew the comment wasn't directed at me, I joked, "Oh, why, thank you."

"Thanks." The girls hugged. Then, Julie separated to show off the outfit. "It's my mom's. I finally went through her stuff."

"She would've love that you wore that." Remembering something, Flynn began fixing her hair and putting on a flirty smile. "Are the guys here?"

I laughed, kinda expecting that comment to eventually sprout. "No, only Liz, but they will be. They know how important this is to me."

My fist punched my palm several times. "They better, 'cause if they don't, Angry Liz is gonna come out. And you don't wanna mess with Angry Liz."

"Liz says hi, by the way," my friend chuckled.

While waving, Flynn shifted her gaze a little bit to the right, for the first time seeing me and not the air. "Heyyy, girl. I know I can't see you right now, but you probably look amazing."

"Stop it!" I posed for her, attempting to sound modest.

¸¸·¯·¸¸·¯·¸¸¸·¯·¸¸·¯·

"Is everybody fired up for Julie and the Phantoms?" The crowd erupted in cheers. Even I was excited, and I'm the one who's playing! "Great! Keep that fire 'cause that's later. We're a bit behind schedule, but don't worry, just enjoy these mind-blowing beats."

Flynn left her spot as Julie looked at her quizzically. "Julie and the Phantoms?"

I nodded, also deciding to use the slang Julie had taught me. "I can vibe with that— did I use that correctly?"

"I had some free time in French class. And you'd better like it, because I registered it on Insta, Snapchat, Twitter..." she rambled.

To stop her, my friend grabbed her in a appreciating manner. "No, I love it, but I'd love it even more if the actual Phantoms were here."

Flynn suddenly locked her eyes on the distance. A certain guy in a fedora, jacket, carrying a smug smile entered the building.

"Nick! Look Flynn it's... Nick." When she turned around again, she noticed Flynn had gone back to the booth, leaving them 'alone'.