21. Losing Time

The unkind, extremely selfish, interruption from Alex, left us observing how everyone left, filled on viral material in their phones. The girls headed inside with Mr. Molina, so we released some stress at the empty basketball court.

Fun fact about me: I suck at basketball. Or any sport that doesn't include dancing for that matter. And it looks like death did not give me justice either. Shot after shot the ball missed the net.

Luke grabbed the ball from my hands. "Here, let me show you how it's done." He flexed his muscles right up on my face and scored on the first try.

 "Show off." I stuck out my tongue. "And put those away. You're not impressing me with your spaghetti arms."

Reg grabbed the ball while smiling. "Feels like we should be celebrating or something. What do you guys wanna do?"

The moment he finished speaking, a unexpected shock struck the four of us. It was so strong that I dropped to the ground, and, if I had the abilities to hurt myself, I would've scraped my knees.

"Not that," Alex responded.

We barely got the energy to stand up. I profusely robbed my chest, but it didn't ease the pain.

"That wasn't like the other ones. It's getting worse," Luke panted.

"Why is this happening to us?" Reggie wondered.

"It's because you guys are in serious trouble." Willie appeared from a bush, a face with worry and... was it fear? I think it is. He didn't want to see us ever again, so it must be really important to break his promise.

"Willie?" my brother croaked.

He shuffled his feet until he let out a, "We need to talk." He took us to Hollywood Boulevard, where he explained everything. The problem was the explanation was a little too late.

Apparently, Caleb was behind our sudden jolts. If we had been paying more attention, we would've connected the dots sooner.  I knew getting revenge would be a bad idea, but not this bad of an idea.

"All these jolts that we're feeling is because Caleb put his stamp on us?" Luke recapitulated.

Willie led the way. His back was facing us, meaning I could only see his shaky walking. "He's threatened by you. He wants you under his control. You're the only ghosts that can be visible to lifers without his help."

"We are?" I blurted automatically. Bad moment to ask that? Probably.

Although Alex was the smarter one and asked the more important question. Not only had he gotten his heart broken, he was lied to. "And you let him do that to us?"

The brunette finally turned around. "I can't stop him. He owns my soul. All right? He owns everyone's soul at the club. If he even knew I was here talking to you, he... he would destroy me," he sttutered.

"So if we don't join his club, the weird power outage thing continues until there's no power left at all?" I concluded.

Willie sighed. "Yes."

I turned to Reggie, who was crossed armed and carrying a look of uncertainty. "What exactly happens when the power goes out?"

"That's... that's it. You're done." Just like that? No, no, no! I can't end like this... can it? We're doing something very special here. And... and I just got them back, for goodness sakes!

The information didn't seem to register on the bassists's name. He frowned, recollecting his thoughts. "Uh huh. Yeah. And what exactly do you mean by 'we're done'?"

"You just... you don't exist anymore. Not anywhere." In a matter of seconds... it's game over, people.

I lost my balance, slightly twisting my ankle in the process. "I might throw up right now." Although there was no food on my stomach, the nauseous feeling stung there.