16. Forgiving Mistakes

After talking it up on the café, I convinced the guys to go apologize to Julie. After all, she did not asked to be left alone on the dance. She deserved a grand gesture of apology.

In Sunset Curve fashion, we organized the harmonies for an apology song. Since I was actually nice to her, I was going to sit this one out, but I was going to be in the corner watching them and cheering.

"We've been here foreverrr. Maybe we should switch up the plan or something," I complained. 

"Wait, she's coming, she's coming!" Reggie jumped and viciously tapped my shoulder. They scrambled into a line. "We're sorry," he sung as he popped from the left side.

Alex appeared from the right. "So sorry."

Luke kneeled with his arms wide open. "We're super-duper, crazy stupid—"

"Sorry!" they sung at the same time while doing jazz hands. They stood there in an uncomfortable silence as neither me nor Julie uttered a word.

I peeked my head from the corner I was hiding from. "And I'm just here for moral support," I sang in my best opera voice.

Out of breath, the bassist panted. "In case you missed it, we're really sorry."

"Yeah... yeah, I got part," she declared. I wanted to tell her how adorable she looked in her baby blue dress with its matching headband and beige jacket, but it was not the time.

"We've been here for, like, three hours..." My brother and Reg gave themselves a high-five, to which I rolled my eyes.

"We almost sang to your little brother," the other one swung upwards.

"They did. It was super funny," I snorted, almost achieving happy tears at the memory. Unknown to her, Julie did her best to contain the smile forcing itself on her lips. That's a relief, at least she's not mad at me.

"He comes in here a lot. Mainly to use the bathroom..."

"Yeah, it's not our favorite part of the day," Alex confessed.

Luke grabbed the lead of the conversation, focusing back to the reason we were here. "But, Julie, it wasn't okay that we flaked on the dance last night. We know we let you down."

"Yeah, and none of us wanted us to disappoint you. You're the best thing that's happened to us since we became ghosts."

"So, in hopes that you'll rejoin the band, we booked a new gig." My friend nodded once to remind me of my cue.

I had stolen a poster from the café, which I now know is called Eats & Beats. It was going to be a live event, especifically targeted for beginner bands. It would be an amazing opportunity for Julie and the Phantoms.

Ignoring the nerves exploding on my stomach, I took a step and handed it out to Julie. She barely left her deadly gaze currently attacking Luke to read the publicity.

Reg chimed in. "A mega imporant, life-changing gig."

"Oh, okay. Check it out. Tons of managers go here to listen to new bands. All we gotta do is blow them all away, and we're living the dream," the guy beamed.

In a beat, her head tilted devilishly. "So, this means a lot to you, huh?"

"Uh oh," I whispered. I could sense the glacier roaming the corner, getting prepared to hit our Titanic.

"Kind of how playing in front of my whole entire school meant a lot to me," she finished deadpanning.

"Sounds like sarcarsm." Oh, my innocent Reginald Peters. He gasped. "I'm starting to think our plan isn't working."