22. Seeing Emily

The jolts kept me awake quite a lot in the nights. In the morning, for some reason, I decided to join Reggie in watching Ray's house photos. Even if our possible last moments were gonna be boring, might as well spend them with him.

He kept awwing at all the pictures. Yes, they were good, but he acted like were at Disneyland or something. "Hmm. Wow! Ooh, I like this one. It's got a good composition, buddy."

Alex appeared on an empty chair. "What are you doing?"

"Eh, I needed a pick-me up, and hanging with Ray always does the trick," Reg answered nonchalantly. A huge part of me is broken at how quickly he responded that. I'm right over here... and Ray is the one who cheers him up? Why do I even try?

He stared at me in confusion. Then back at him. "Does it? Okay..." Yeah, Alex, I know it's not ideal, but this is what I'm gonna get! It's something.

Carlos came rushing in with a shoebox filled of items on his arms. He dropped it on the table. "Dad, I got a ghost update."

"Okay, this might be interesting," my brother admitted. When I looked at the computer's clock, I realized that I was running a little late.

I stood up, moving the chair as least as possible. "Shoot. Keep me posted, guys. I have a thing to do," I winked.

"Really? Come on Carlos, we've talked about this," I heard from Mr. Molina before poofing away.

¸¸·¯·¸¸♪·¯·¸¸¸·¯·¸¸♪·¯·

I'm not one who wanted to be tight with my family, but there was a close band member of mine who is. Luke, as we've all realized, had been visiting his parents almost daily. We didn't say a word, but I did approach him in secret to know how he was holding up. He has a hidden mushy side.

Being the only girl in the group since the 90s means that I am the official uncertified therapist, or at least that's what it means to me.

After talking, he asked me if I could accompany him today. And, of course, I agreed. Whatever to help my family and also avoid camera lingo.

Luke waited for me in the garage door. "Liz! Perfect timing. You ready?"

Before putting my hair on a ponytail, I grabbed my leather backpack. "Yup. Let's go."

We held hands and teleported to the Patterson household. Like we had planned this before, Julie was inches away from knocking at the door. She took a couple of steps back when she noticed us. "Luke. And Liz."

"What are you doing here?" his voice went quieter than a mouse.

"Okay, look. I... I just wanted to know more about you, you know, just curious. Um... So, I came here last week on your birthday." My eyes widened. I never expected her to reveal that. I just hope she leaves the part out where we showed her the place.

"You were spying on me? Even after all your speeches about boundaries? You were spying on me?" Now I'm thinking I should've stayed with Alex and Reggie.

"I know. I'm sorry. It was wrong." Luke walked in her direction. "But I'm worried about you."

"You don't have to be." Okay, I feel like the biggest third wheel in history. I signed up to comfort Luke, not to be a watcher in their complicated relationship.