25. Standing Tall

The only place where I didn't want to be right now was the Hollywood Ghost Club. Lucky for us, the owner teleported us in the curtains of the place.

Alex was in a black and baby pink tuxedo, his drumsticks clutched on his left hand. Similarly to him, Reggie wore a red and black combination, except it had a butterfly print on the jacket and his bass hung on his side. Luke was the only one on a monochrome palette, as his was dark blue. The element that stood out was his electric guitar strap. All of their hair was too gelled back for their liking.

As for me, well, I wasn't on a suit. It's 1920's themed, so that would be illegal in their times... I think. I was placed on a corseted and laced dark green dress. The silver shoes and length of the dress restricted movement, which balanced with the slit on the left side permitting me to walk.

And my hair was wrapped up in a hairstyle similar to the other members of the club: a classic finger wave. It even had a green feather stuck on it. Unlike the others, I didn't have my instrument or backpack on me. However, I did have a microphone taped to my cheek.

Caleb walked down the stairs. "Well don't you look nice?"

"Sweet threads."

Alex looked at his sleeves. "How... How'd you know our sizes?"

"That's your question?" Luke scolded while tugging at his neck collar.

He wasn't the only uncomfortable one. I pinched my corset, hoping to obtain air. "I can't breathe."

"I know you aren't my biggest fans, and an eternity at my night club might seem overwhelming. But... I just put you in sweet threads, so humor me this one last pitch." He handed an item over to his worker. "Isn't it nice that you're all here together? And, believe me, everything you want, including Willie, is here. And, on my stage, you don't vanish when the music stops. You soak in the applause as much as you want."

If I was alive right now, I'd be on the verge on a heart attack. Like, they're not induced by threats or bad moments, but those certainly did not help the cause. He was getting dangerously close to what we were all secretly aspiring to have. And I hated every second of it.

"The connection that you will feel with the audience will be like no other. I promise." That sound nice and all, but it's not worth it if we're being manipulated and jamming without Julie. On his command, the crowd erupted in cheers. "Shhh. Do you hear that? They're waiting for you."

"OH MY—" I screamed when jolts struck us.

He hissed in fake sympathy. "That one look like it hurt. Now, let me remind you, you don't know if playing the Orpheum is just unfinished business. Do you really have time to make that mistake? I suggest you accept my offer, because the clock is ticking."

I bit my tongue. I wish I had the strength to strangle him. And who knew how many poor souls before us had fallen in his devilish traps? Probably too many to count.

"You know where to find me." The guy strutted his way into the stage, his cape creating a more dramatic entrance. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm back. Hello, hello, hello!"

You know you wanna take a chance and be a little bit bad
Ain't nothing quite like living on the edge
So get ready to go

No matter how much I tried moving my feet towards the exit, they wouldn't budge. It was like we were on an unescapable trance.

I'm chasing down a thrill, and looking fit to kill
So listen to the words a wise man said

Although his performance was directed at his audience, he kept a sharp eye on us. His feathery friends danced in his sides. My legs were bouncing to the rhythm, not an opportunity of stopping them.