chapter twenty-three

They're at the cabin and Dean just tossed a lit match into a bowl making flames rise before they die down. Evie uncovers her face and the three look around.

"Is he trying to make a grand entrance or...?" Dean asks.

"I don't know." Sam shrugs.

"Son of a bitch. He's standing us up." Dean says.

"Well, we summoned him. Doesn't he kind of have to--" Dean cuts Sam off.

"If Crowley wants to screw you, he'll screw you."

"Or... he can't come cause something went wrong." Sam says.

"Maybe." Dean sighs. There's a knock at the door making Sam take his gun out and push Evie behind him. "Maybe it's good news." Sam looks through a hole before opening the door to reveal Meg.

"You deal with him. I can't anymore." Meg says.

"Meg!" Evie grins, happy to see the demon.

"You might want to be more specific." Dean says.

"I was laying low halfway across the world when emo boy pops up out of nowhere and zaps me right back here." Meg says.

"Why?" Dean asks.

"Go ask him. He was your boyfriend first."

~ ~ ~

"Now, you understand I don't participate in aggressive activity." Cas says. He picks up a bone and sniffs it. "Mm. Sister Mary Constant. Good choice."

"What?" Evie whispers. "You took a human bone?" She whispers to her dad.

"Just focus on coloring, baby." Sam says, awkwardly chuckling.

"Why'd you go to Meg, Cas?" Dean asks.

"When I left, I wanted to observe the flowers... and fruit. Flowers came first, obviously. But I heard nothing from them." Cas says.

"You heard nothing from who?" Sam asks.

"The Garrison." Cas says.

"What happened to the Garrison?" Sam asks.

"Well, finally, the silence was deafening, so I went to look... to the home of the Prophet. You know, Leviathan can kill angels. There's a reason why Father locked them in Purgatory. They're the piranha that would eat the whole aquarium. They're gone. The entire Garrison-- dead. If there's anyone left at all, they're in hiding."

"Um, I'm sorry. If the angels are dead, where's Kevin?" Dean asks.

"I could steal them from their cages, the monkeys. But where would I put them all?" Cas asks and Evie's face scrunches in confusion.

"Hey!" Dean claps his hands in front of Cas' face. "Focus. Is Kevin alive?"

"I don't want to fight." Cas states.