chapter eighteen

Dean is holding Evie's hand as he marches into the doctor's office as the hospital, Evie having to slightly jog to keep up with him.

"Okay, sir? You can't just barge in here without an appointment!" A nurse tells him, following him into the office.

"They said, "Talk to Kadinsky." You Kadinsky?" Dean asks the doctor.

"You need to be scheduled!" The nurse exclaims.

"Well, then, schedule me!" Dean yells. Evie flinches from all the loud voices. "He was in a car crash. Why the hell can't I see him?"

"You're Sam Smith's brother." Dr. Kadinsky assumes.

"Yeah, what's going on?" Dean asks.

"It-- it's fine. Thank you. Really." The doctor tells the nurse who leaves.

"Sam was admitted. He was treated for a broken rib and lacerations." The doctor informs.

"Okay. That's not too bad. And?" Dean asks.

"And... he's on our locked psychiatric floor." Kadinsky states.

"I thought that was brain stuff." Evie says.

"I mean, he's had some trouble..." Dean says.

"So you're aware that Sam is experiencing a full blown psychotic episode?" Kadinsky asks.

"Like a psycho?" Evie asks her uncle, looking up at him for answers.

"Psychotic? Come on. I mean, the guy's... it's not like the guy's freakin' Norman Bates." Dean says.

"No, I'm sure he isn't. We need to determine whether his state was brought on by the insomnia or whether the insomnia is a symptom of his condition. Do you understand? So that we can figure out how to treat him." Kadinsky states.

"Well, all I can say is that the sleep thing is-- is kind of new." Dean says.

"Right. Well... we've pumped him about as full as sedatives as we safely can. So far, he won't go under. I've never seen anything like it." Kadinsky says.

He leads them to Sam's room after informing them of everything.

"Ah, Mr. Helpless. And little miss clueless." Lucifer says in Sam's head. "Pull up a six pack, buddy."

"How are you feeling?" Dean asks, walking into the room as the doctor leaves. Evie stays near the doorway, not sure what she's supposed to do or expect.

"Maybe you should cancel my UFC fight." Sam jokes. Dean sits on the end of Sam's bed.

"Sam, I'm gonna find you help." Dean says.

"I don't think it's out there, Dean." Sam says.

"We don't know that." Dean says.

"We know better than most. It's all snake oil. Last faith healer we hooked up with had a reaper on a leash. Remember?" Sam asks and Dean stands up.

"Yeah, Sam, I remember." Dean nods.

"I'm just saying..."