chapter thirty-three

They moved into the bunker a few weeks ago. Evie has been in awe of everything since moving in and is excited to finally have her own room again.

Dean helped her decorate all weekend and she is very happy with her room.

She has pictures of her and her dad and her and Dean on her dresser. The picture of her and Sam is from when she was 3 and him and Dean took her to get ice cream. The picture shows a hyperactive Evie and a young Sam smiling fondly at her.

The picture of her and Dean is from when she was 5. It was taken shortly before he was due to go to Hell, the family managing to have a happy day so close to a tragic event.

She has a purple canopy over her bed-- being a girly girl at heart and all. She has the few movies she owns on a shelf, the books she owns on a different shelf, and her schoolbooks on the shelf above that one.

She put the dog her mom gave her all those years ago in her nightstand drawer.

Sam and Evie walk into Dean's room that he finished decorating. There's albums wrapped in plastic on a wire rack and some guns on hooks on the wall above his bed. There's a photo and Dean and Mary from when he's a kid on his desk, between a typewriter and a tape dispenser.

Sam hasn't decorated at all, despite Evie trying to convince him.

"Wow." Sam says, looking around. "Not bad."

"Not bad? I haven't had my own room-- ever. I'm making this awesome. I got my kickass vinyl, I've got this killer mattress." Dean sits on his bed. "Memory foam. It remembers me." He grins.

Sam takes a piece of gum out of the wrapper, sticking it in his mouth.

"And it's clean, too. There's no funky smell. There's no creepy motel stains." Dean says. Sam throws the wrapper at the waste basket, missing. "Really?" Dean asks.

"Sorry." Sam says.

"I'm gonna go fix us some grub." Dean says. Evie walks over and puts the wrapper in the basket, smiling at Dean. "Thank you, shortcake. At least you know how to make somebody happy." He says, Sam rolling his eyes at his brother's comment. Dean leads Evie out and the two go to the kitchen.

+++

Sam is in the library, reading and Dean and Evie walk in, Dean holding two plates, Evie holding one.

"What you reading?" Dean asks.

"Sort of, uh, everything." Sam says. Dean puts the plates down and Evie sits down opposite her dad, putting her plate down.

"Oh, good. Somebody's gonna have to dig through all this, and it ain't gonna be me." Dean says. Sam lifts the top bun off the burger.

"You made these?" Sam asks.

"We have a real kitchen now." Dean says.

"I know. I-I just didn't think you knew what a kitchen was." Sam says.

"I'm nesting, okay? Eat." Dean tells him.