chapter forty-four

The Winchesters are in the bunker and the brothers are trying to find something about the Mark of Cain while Evie does school.

Sam's phone rings and he answers it.

"Hey, Jody." He greets. Evie tunes out his conversation with the sheriff until he puts the phone on speaker.

"Hey, Jody. How's Alex holding up?" Dean asks.

"Awesome. Already head of the cheerleading squad." Jody says.

"Wow. Really?" Sam asks.

"No, Sam. She smokes grass under the bleachers. But at least she's not luring men to their deaths." Jody says.

"Right." Sam nods.

"Listen, this may not be your kid of thing, but a body was found here this morning and something had gone to chow town on it." Jody informs.

"Uh, was the throat ripped out?" Sam asks.

"Worse. I'm hearing that all the flesh had been eaten down to the bones. Any ideas?" Jody asks.

"Well, it's not a vampire." Dean says.

"Yeah, I-I don't know, Jody. I got nothing." Sam says.

"Jody, um... we could head that way. Wouldn't be any trouble at all." Dean offers.

"Nah, it's okay. I can handle it. I promise I'll call if it gets to be something I can't." Jody says.

"All right. Well, uh, enjoy the retreat." Sam teases.

"Screw you, Winchester." Jody bites making Sam chuckle.

"Talk soon." He hangs up.

"I'ma swallow a bag of knives if I got to keep looking at this stuff." Dean says.

"Ow." Evie mumbles, even with knowing he's not serious. Dean softly fake laughs before turning back to Sam.

"Let's--"

"Jody said she was on top of it, Dean." Sam says.

"Uh-huh." Dean says. He gives Evie a look, silently telling her to use puppy dog eyes. At the same time, the uncle and niece give Sam the puppy dog eye look.

"All right." Sam relents almost immediately. "Let's take a drive."

+++

They walk into the lodge and Jody sees them, walking over to them.

"I said I could handle it." Jody says.

"Nice to see you, too." Dean jokes as they hug.

"Hey." Sam greets, hugging Jody.

"Hi." Jody tells him before she hugs Evie. "Okay, I'm headed to the morgue. You want in?"