chapter thirty-eight

Evie gasps awake and finds herself in a dark box. She whines in fear, not knowing where she is or what she's in. She bangs on the top of the box, only to have dirt fall onto her face making her cough.

Before anything else can happen, Evie is suddenly on grass. She looks around and sees the entrance to the bunker and she stands up, wobbling a bit.

She looks to her other side, jumping slightly when she finds Cas.

"Cas?" She asks. "Am I dead?"

"Well... you were." Cas states. "I brought you back."

"Really?" She asks and Cas nods. Evie crashes into him, tightly hugging him. Cas stumbles a bit, but regains balance and lightly hugs her back.

"Thank you." She mumbles as they pull away.

"Of course. For the happiness of your father and uncle... and, well, me. It was only right to bring you back." Cas says.

"What month is it?" Evie asks.

"November." Cas answers.

"What month did I, um... go?" Evie asks.

"September." Cas answers solemnly.

"Do they know you brought me back?" Evie asks.

"No. I've been meaning to since you died, but I had to build up my strength before I was able to do that. Luckily it was incredibly difficult to get you out of Heaven."

"Are they home?" Evie asks.

"Yes." Cas nods. He looks like he's debating something before he holds his hand out. Evie smiles a little and takes it as he leads her towards the bunker.

+++

Sam and Dean have been living in misery the past two months.

There was no coloring. Or drawing. Or hugs. Baking requests, random and consistent questions, kid books lying around. Nobody asking them to brush hair or read a story.

No cute giggles filling the air or heart warming smiles. No reason to have hair ties on their wrists. No Disney movie playing. Nobody climbing into their laps for cuddles.

They lost the most precious thing to them and they can't get her back.

Sam lost the person he swore to protect the moment Jess told him that she was pregnant. He lost the only thing left of his college girlfriend. He lost the person who was never supposed to die before him. He lost his favorite person. He lost his whole life.

Dean lost one of his best friends. Of course, he'd never say a child is one of his best friends. He lost somebody he would always bicker with. He lost the person he would spoil with sugary foods and drinks and letting her stay up late. He lost all those uncle/niece dates when they stayed up late watching movies and binging on candy and soda for her, beer for him. He lost the cuddles he acted like he hated.

They lost the sweetest girl on the planet.